• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

June PLUG meeting

Started by ssfc72, June 01, 2018, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Maybe for the June meeting, which is our last monthly meeting for the summer, we could order in a pizza, for those that want to have a snack. :-)

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

What's the topic and date? Is it in a few days?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Paul Kneeland

The meeting is supposed to be on Monday. There has been no official announcement though.

ssfc72

I will be coming Monday evening to the Applewood residence, for the PLUG meeting.
I will bring my Raspberry Pi with the Motion usb web cam surveillance program.  Hopefully I can demo that and maybe get some help on how to remotely view the stored video clips.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

If people are interested, I could add to Bill's demo a demo of openSUSE Tumbleweed.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Paul Kneeland

Someone from the Executive really Should verify that this meeting is happening...

Jason

Unless somebody cancelled it, we still have the meeting space booked. I emailed Brian to remind him just now.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William Park

I think I can make this meeting.

fox

Great, William. And for all of you, there will be a meeting with two presentations. Bill Hopkins will be talking about the motion detecting software program, Motion, running on a Raspberry Pi with a USB connected webcam. I will be demoing  the KDE/Plasma version of openSUSE Tumbleweed. Head over to the PLUG home page for a fuller description of the meeting topics.

Come one, come all because this will be the last PLUG meeting until the fall.

Jason

I like your rhyming scheme there... we will have to use that slogan every June for now on! :D
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

cod3poet

Thanks folks took possession of the new house on the 31st so it's been a whirlwind. As well as building an 11 foot swingset fort. I'll be sure to get back to internets and posting soon once the household stabilizes :)
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

ssfc72

Thanks Mike and Jason for posting about the June meeting, topics!
As VP of the PLUG club, i have been informed that the meeting room at the Applewood residence, is available for our Monday meeting.
Bill

ssfc72

Ok guys, sorry about the failure of my talk, about the Motion surveillance software running on a Raspberry Pi3.

Thanks everyone for your help, in trying to solve my problem!

1.  The first problem was the hdmi-to-dvi adapter connector, not being the right gender to connect to the room projector.
I now recall that I used a male to male cable, with that adapter, the last time I used it at a PLUG meeting.  I have now put a note with the connector, to remind me to bring that cable.

2. It didn't take me to long, once I got back home, to solve the other issue of not being able to remote connect to the raspberry Pi.

My mistake there was not having the hdmi output of the Pi connected to a monitor/projector, to be able to see what the Raspbian software was showing.
Once I could gain access to the Pi with my wifi mini Rii keyboard, then I recalled that I just went to the terminal prompt of the Pi, to issue the ifconfig command, to find out the IP address of the Pi.

I still don't know why the Windows Putty remote program, would not gain access to the Pi, after we reduced the available IP addresses to 3 choices???  It should have connected to the Pi, on one of those addresses.
Maybe I was on the wrong wifi network, at that time???

Anyway, the Motion program is running fine on the Pi, now, so for our September PLUG meeting, I will give it another try.

Bill

buster

Odd coincidence - Distrowatch did a review of OpenSUSE 15 yesterday (which I suspect Mike just copied out and gave as HIS presentation).

If you read it, be sure to go to the  comments at the end of DW which have many, many responses to the review.

Lots of interest shown towards SUSE in the comments.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180604
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

You must have been asleep during my presentation, as I did mention the same coincidence.