• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Lubuntu 18.04 - frustrating!

Started by ssfc72, May 24, 2018, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Intially I was very impressed with my recent testing/install of Lubuntu.
It is a lightweight Distro that is clean and quick.
However, it does only come with basic programs.
You need to install Libre Office if you want a full featured Office suite.

This is were my problems started.
I had to load in the Opera browser from the Opera web site, since Opera is not in the Repositories.

I wanted to have the Opera start icon on the bottom task bar. The Opera icon is only placed in the Internet folder of the main Start menu.
With the Mint Distro you can right click on the Opera icon and choose between either having an Opera start icon, on the Desktop or the bottom task bar. I prefer the bottom task bar location.
With Lubuntu, you only have the Desktop option. There is no right click option to put an Opera start icon on the task bar.

So, i started messing around with the bottom task bar options.  This operation is not intuitive, to me at all!
I did manage to discover on how to get the Opera start icon, on the bottom task bar.
However, i thoroughly messed up the other existing icons on the bottom task bar.

I lost the one click shut down icon and i can not figure out how to get that back on the bottom task bar.
The other task bar icons are all mixed up and changed location, on the task bar.
I don't see why there isn't a default setting icon, on the bottom task bar, that would restore the original layout of the bottom task bar.

Also, Dropbox installed, but it keeps starting up, every time Lubuntu starts up. I don't want Dropbox to automatically start up.
The preferences in the Dropbox icon had a setting to disable Dropbox from starting up, but this has no effect, at all!

Sigh!!
Maybe i will have to go back to trying Kubuntu, even though there is no way to set it to single click, to start a program or open a folder!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I wonder if this is the fault of lxqt, which Lubuntu is now using as a desktop instead of lxde. I believe it is a work in progress.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Further issues!

I tried to use the Simple Scan program, that comes with Lubuntu, with my old KodakESP 5250 all-in-one printer/scanner, to scan a document.  It failed!
However this is an issue I have already experienced with the Mint 18 Distro.
I believe it appears to be a problem with the latest SANE program, that probably is used with the latest Distros, in the Simple Scan program.
When I use Mint 17, I have no problem with Simple Scan, in scanning a document. I suspect an older version of SANE must be used in Mint 17 and this version of SANE works with this Kodak printer/scanner.

Sigh!!

On a positive note.  I am able to access any file, on any of the 2 hard drives, that are on this desktop computer, which also has Win Vista and Win7!  Very nice!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William Park

Try OpenSUSE-15 which just came out.