• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Connect your Android device to your Linux desktop

Started by Jason, May 22, 2018, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Came across this article from TechRepublic that explains how to get the Gnome desktop talking to your Android device. Though specifically for Gnome, it uses KDE Connect and a Gnome application to do it. If you skip the part for installing Gnome, it works in KDE, too. It does involve installing the Android app KDE Connect as well on the device.

I tried it and it worked with my Sony Xperia Ultra XA1. Though I was mostly interested in using it for transferring files, particularly pictures to my Linux desktop, you can also use to control the mouse cursor on your desktop for your device which is kind of cool. You can also use supposedly it to get phone notifications on your desktop and send/receive text messages though I haven't tried those features. I believe the devices need to be linked which I did via USB but I think you can via Bluetooth as well.

Has anybody else tried connecting their android devices to their Linux desktop? How did you do it?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

We could have a "session" on this at PLUG MUG tomorrow night. I would be interested in trying this.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Sure. I haven't set it up on my laptop yet and it also has OpenSUSE on it with KDE.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13