• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

If you wish to try the new KDE Plasma, Kubuntu seems a pretty good choice.

Started by buster, May 13, 2018, 12:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

If you wish to try the new KDE Plasma, Kubuntu seems a pretty good choice.

Usual VMWate virtual install: 2 core, 2 gig ram, 45 gig hd.

The Install: I have to note this because I was so pleasantly surprised. I was doing dishes in the kitchen and running back and forth to the computer. After getting the usual info in it started to boot I thought into a live version. I was away from the computer for quite awhile, came back, and it had installed itself and was waiting for my password!

First Impressions: Default Firefox, Discover, Kate, LibreOffice, VLC, and unfortunately Ktorrent. So a good start. Discover worked very well and I found and installed Kpat, ExtremeTuxracer and qBittorrent. Whole thing seemed fine - typical KDE.

Pluses: Felt quick. Most things worked well. The dark theme I liked. Dolphin is something I like to work with. Drag and drop between host and guest works from the outset. Font in Firefox doesn't make you nauseous. Far more pluses than minuses.

Minuses: Had to get rid of Ktorrent, get qBittorrent, and do some work with Firefox to get Magnetic links to work. ( see: https://forums.plugintolinux.ca/index.php/topic,509.0.html ) And while the menu is clear and easy, it requires lots of mouse clicks. Compare this to the menu in Mint Cinnamon where you just hover the mouse and things open.

Summary: Seems like a good distro in the KDE family. I'll try if for awhile and get back to this thread.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on May 13, 2018, 12:31:43 PM
And while the menu is clear and easy, it requires lots of mouse clicks. Compare this to the menu in Mint Cinnamon where you just hover the mouse and things open.

Do you mean that you have to click on submenus to get them to open, that is, they don't open on their own after a slight pause? Because they do in Linux Mint 18.3 KDE Edition.

Thanks for your comments. Good to know there is a workable option when LM KDE is gone.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

No, they don't open automatically after a pause. By the way in Cinnamon, they open instantly. And because I forgot, I'll include the pictures here.

buster

buster

:-[  And I forgot to say music and movies just worked. Seems a pretty complete system. You might wish to download Thunderbird. (Haven't used Kmail for maybe a decade.)

Jason

OMG, Buster. Did you actually open a terminal window and type something in it?  ;D
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Noticed this morning that if the trash folder on the desktop has anything in it,  it turns red! Trying to find things to throw away so I can enjoy watching the dramatic colour change.