• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

KeePass password manager program

Started by ssfc72, May 03, 2018, 07:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I recently read an article online, about ways of recording your various internet passwords.

I use free programs called KeePass 2.x and KeePassX.

Keepass was originally only for use under Windows and so KeepassX was developed for the Linux platform.
Both programs (KeePass 2.x) are now cross platform, capable.
Keepass has numerous plugins, but I just use the basic program. Keepass can import the data from numerous other password managers.

So, you store all your passwords and any other info you want to reference, in Keepass and by only having to remember one password, to open up the Keepass database, you can retrieve any password you have assigned to any website, etc.

Keepass uses AES or Twofish for encrypting its data, so your passwords are pretty safe from being exposed.

Since I have multiple computers and need to access my passwords, wherever I am, then I store the encrypted Keepass file, in my Dropbox cloud account. Any other Cloud service would work, also.
I then install the Dropbox program/Folder on each computer/device that I have, along with the KeePass or KeePassX program.
I then have access to my passwords, whatever device I am using.

Important. I make sure that I sync with the my Dropbox cloud account, before I make any changes to my KeePass database, on any computer/device that I am currently using.
This is done to keep the KeePass database in sync, across all my devices.

For my Android phone I use the App, KeePassDroid.

Bill

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

KeePass is great. I stored my passwords the same way for years the way you're doing now.

Apparently now, there is even a browser version. Just make sure you get it from a confirmed website. I notice there is a website that you can download it from that has an address of keepass.com but I don't know if it's legit, and it seems to only be the windows version if it is. The main website for the program is at https://keepass.info , which has many versions for different operating systems including a portable version (no install required).

I use LastPass now but my wife still uses KeePass and refuses to change :-) It took her a bit to learn it at first but now she's so used to it, I don't think she wants to go through learning another program now although personally I think browser-based ones are easier now.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13