• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Neptune 5.1: An interesting KDE distro

Started by buster, April 20, 2018, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

After reading the review in Distrowatch of Neptune 5.0, I installed it as a virtual OS on VMWare. Unfortunately I installed it using the 5.0, which added another 3 or 4 hundred megs to an already large iso. But this is a very interesting disto:

It's quick, clean, all inclusive. The usual test of graphics was superior to most in virtual. The boot and shutdown don't consume too much time. I like some of software included, like Amarok.

Got rid of Iceweasel (which may have problems) and replaced it with Firefox. Installed Synapic. Downloaded vmware files so I could drag and drop. Changed the wallpaper, added qBittorrent etc. Did an upgrade through Muon, and haven't seen any sign of a notification for updates. May have to check with Muon each time.

Early problems seemed to sort themselves out. I like it. Feels light, peppy.

But these are early days.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I'll definitely give it a try and post here when I do.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BusterE

After a few days it did start to notify me of updates. Good graphics by the way on the little things,
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

buster

This is a very nice KDE distro. So far solid and easy. Good attention to graphical detail, such as during the boot. (I think you would like it Jason as a KDE option.) Need more time to determine if it's really solid, or just waiting for a good time to blow up.

Reminds me of the KDE  in SUSE. Some KDE's seem to take a multitude of mouse clicks to handle the menu for example. This one is comfortable.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I installed Neptune 5.1 on my laptop but have to play with it more. Has a really nice look to it, though and quite a few apps installed and ready to go but not too many. It has enough to demo core features and programs in KDE so I'm going to use it for my May presentation.

Was going to use Nemo before but with Nemo, it doesn't really come with much other than Plasma so you have to install everything you want to use. Seems odd way to demonstrate KDE when hardly anything is installed. I get that maybe they just want you to see the core desktop environment but nobody would use it like that so I think it's still a strange approach.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13