• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

WIRED: Design Tech High School

Started by Jason, March 28, 2018, 06:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I can't describe this better than the article does and it sounds amazing!

QuoteD.tech is a free public charter school and admits about 135 students a year via lottery. Each day, these Chromebook-­clutching teen techies wander into classes ranging from music theory to the future of VR and AR, plus seminars taught by Oracle employees and other working professionals. Then there’s the school’s two-story, 8,000-square-foot Design Realization Garageâ€"picture Arduinos, 3-D printers, laser cutters, and soldering and sawing toolsâ€"where students can explore new tech and hack together prototypes.

I wish I had had something like this when I was going to high school though I was lucky enough to study electronics. We made a couple of things but we still used existing plans. This sounds a lot more creative.

What do you think?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I think high school students still need to be taught a large scope of topics such as History, Geography, Math etc.
From the article, I don't know if these students will be taught the above subjects.

A mix of Tech and mainstream subjects would be very nice!  Otherwise if the teaching is only Tech, then I think the high school students are not getting a good overall education.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I agree with you. I assume state laws require those subjects still. But I imagine as much as possible they incorporate tech where they can.

Update: Yes, they have humanities, math, science, etc. Found it here.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13