• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

WIRED magazine free 3-month trial ($10 USD for 12 issues + YubiKey4 after)

Started by Jason, March 15, 2018, 02:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Update: While it lasts the deal is now just $10 for the digital-only subscription. It's $20 if you want the print and digital subscription.

Wired is running a cool promotion right now especially for the security-conscious among us. You can get Wired magazine for 3-months for free to try out (print and digital or digital only). At the end of the 3-month period your credit card will be billed for $31.50 USD ($20 + $10 shipping + $1.50 taxes) $10.00 USD + taxes and you will get a free YubiKey 4 (about a $25 CAD value itself). For those that haven't hard of a YubiKey, this is a brief synopsis from their website:

QuoteTwo-factor authentication (2FA)  adds an extra layer of security to your account that you, and only you, can access in order to prove your identity. Millions of people use YubiKeys fbecause they’re the easiest to use, super secure, and affordable. Plug in your YubiKey and tap it to log in to your computers, networks, and online services. Keep one on your keychain with the key to your house/car, and a second YubiKey in a safe place as a backup.

Personally, I love 2FA and have been using for years with my password manager, my Steam account, and my Google account. You still enter your password, but 2FA means even if somebody gets your password, they can't use the service without an authenticator device (or app) that generates a code that changes every minute. Then you enter that same code after you have entered your password to get into your account. And if they get your device but don't have your password, they're still stuck. I've been doing it via a phone app for years but this would make it so much easier. Just insert the device. And before you ask, yes, it works with Linux.

Here's the link to the trial for international customers. And more information about YubiKey here.

I've always wanted to get a YubiKey and though I haven't read Wired a lot, I've always enjoyed their articles. And this seemed like a great idea. I hope it's useful for some of you.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Yubikey 4 - try $53 CDN! The only version you can get for $US20 (plus shipping) is the old Yubico. But there appears to be an alternative coming out from Google that is cheaper - I'll post in another thread.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

At the time I saw one for $25 but since I don't remember where I saw it now, I can't really say what version it was. But there you go, it's an even better deal!
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

The Yubikey blurb mentions having a second key to store somewhere, as a backup, in case you lose the Yubikey.

Do they give you 2 Yubikeys, when you buy one?

Otherwise, if you misplace the yubikey, then you would be locked out of your device/Accounts ???
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on July 27, 2018, 05:37:59 PM
Do they give you 2 Yubikeys, when you buy one?

Otherwise, if you misplace the yubikey, then you would be locked out of your device/Accounts ???

No, you just get the one. As Fox pointed out, it's actually at least a $40 USD value. However, I realized the YubiKey I saw that was cheaper was this one on Amazon.ca. It's simply called Security Key. The difference is that it doesn't have support for OTP and NFC. NFC is the tap-to-transmit function. OTP is short for One-Type Password but not sure what you lose without that functionality.

As far as being locked out goes, that's why you always keep a set of emergency backup codes in a safe place ) that you can use to get into your accounts should you lose your YubiKey (or your phone). Backup, backup, backup, isn't just for data you know! Anyway, these emergency codes are single-user passwords consisting of long strings of numbers and you usually generated a list for each service that you put in a safe place. And you can also setup your authenticator app as a backup 2FA method.

They also gave me a discount code for 20% off on up to 5 YubiKey 4s. It has to be done in one order though, so if anybody is interested, let me know so I can put in a volume order. I would need money up front though as I don't the kind of cash flow to float this OR I can give the code to somebody else who can place the order. These are the prices pre-discount.

Jason

Not sure how long this is going to last but WIRED has reduced their subscription price to only $10 and it still includes a YubiKey 4, about a $50 value! The $10 might be USD and might have shipping added to it (though they never charged me for shipping) and tax. Get it while it lasts.

dougal

asked someone that just subscribed and they say it was about $20USD total.

Jason

Thanks for the info, Dougal. I only just noticed that if you choose Canada at the link, it says $10 subscription + $10 shipping and handling. If you choose digital access only, it's $10 in total. So the shipping is just for the hardcopy being delivered, not the YubiKey. Pretty incredible deal, I'd say. Wish I had waited :D

fox

Yup, $10 is right; just checked. Jason, does the Yubikey you get work with phones and tablets that don't have a usb port?

dougal

great discovery Jason, i think i'll get one and send one to my bro to check out...as i don't want the hardcopy....perhaps two , one for backup ! hey Mike , have you heard anything more about Google's entry into the market?

fox

Not yet. For the $10, I may order the Yubikey anyway. I'm waiting to hear from Jason about whether it works in a phone or tablet where one doesn't have a usb port.

Jason

Unfortunately, no. They have a version of if for USB-C ports that are on some phones but it's not the one that comes with the magazine. That's USB-A only which is what most people mean when they say USB. The YubiKey NEO has NFC support for phones. I had thought originally that this device does, too, but nope.

That doesn't mean you can't use 2FA on your desktop and laptops though and you'll still be able to get into your accounts using the phone/tablet apps. That's what I'm doing right now. Honestly, I'm not even sure how to enable 2FA on my phone apps. For protection of those accounts, I really recommend a passcode or some other built-in security to the device.

dougal

just finished subscribing, total cost was $10.50 USD and oddly when sending one as a gift in the USA there was an additional $10 handling fee.

Jason

Are you sure you didn't mean $20.50 for two subscriptions total?

dougal

one digital subscription for Canada=$10+tax=10.50 USD
one digital subscription gift for USA=$10+$10 handling +tax