• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Netbook or small Laptop

Started by cod3poet, February 18, 2018, 08:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cod3poet

Looking for something small so that I can hide it behind a monitor. And want it to run silent.

I don't need anything fantastic the reason for it is minimal arch so the display does not need to work. Just looking to have an always on machine so I can use it to wake the other computers in the house, and to host some other services like SMB for some USB drives.

Min 2GB of RAM and that's it. HD does not matter as it's probably going to boot off of usb anyway.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

William Park

- Asus VivoStick, Intel Compute Stick -- they look like big USB stick.
- Intel NUC, Zotac ZBOX, Gigabyte BRIX -- they are barebone, just add memory and harddisk.

cod3poet

I know we use NUC's in production, not a fan. I'm looking for something old and used and cheap.
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

ssfc72

Oops!  That price is just for the case, Buster. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

However, the Raspberry is a pretty good idea right? (I didn't actually  read the add. Just saw a picture and the name. :))
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

William Park

Quote from: cod3poet on February 19, 2018, 07:48:00 PM
I know we use NUC's in production, not a fan. I'm looking for something old and used and cheap.

In that case, KWLUG (Kitchener/Waterloo Linux Users Group) has very close relationship with Computer Recycling @ The Working Centre <https://www.theworkingcentre.org/computer-recycling/178>.  They have shit load of old laptops.  Is an old Thinkpad good enough?  If I remember correctly, it should be below $50.  I can ask.

cod3poet

For the Cost of $50 I'd be better off getting 2 used raspberry pi's. I am a huge proponent of up-cycling. All the tech I have in the house was purchased used, short of my SSD and Video card.

Jason

Quote from: cod3poet on February 21, 2018, 10:48:36 AM
For the Cost of $50 I'd be better off getting 2 used raspberry pi's. I am a huge proponent of up-cycling. All the tech I have in the house was purchased used, short of my SSD and Video card.

Same here! It wasn't about a great love of being Green (though I try to as much as I can) though, it was/is on account of being poor!

The computer I'm using right now for my desktop was given to me by a former member - Arend Getkate. It was the machine he lovingly called Frankenstein because it has hard drives hanging out outside the case, though now it's in a HUGE Kandalf case. The only thing in it that I paid for is the video card.

My wife's computer is my old computer which I bought from Reboot originally for $49 and upgraded the CPU for another $30 and I added a new SSD for her. I also paid for her video card too, although both cards are easily 5 years old now.

My phone and tablet were new though but not bought outright and only because they had a deal going on. We don't even have a TV! We just watch movies or tv shows on my wife's 22" screen! :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13