• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Rainlendar - Event/To Do calendar

Started by ssfc72, February 08, 2018, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I like the above calendar program, running on my Desktop, to remind me of events I have setup, for the months of the year.

Rainlendar puts 4 small windows on the Desktop.  Events, To Do, the month calendar and a Daily notification.

Just today however, I was trying to set up a reminder and also set up the Alarm sound, for the reminder, but I was not getting any sound played.
From Googling the issue, this problem seems to be common, going back many years, but I couldn't find out what was the cause or the fix.
I did discover that the default audio file, is a .wav file, but I could not find the file, in the places of the Rainlendar program, suggested.

From poking around the above 4 windows, I did find that if you go to the Daily notification window and right click on the Events heading, a menu comes up.
On the menu there is the Options...   category.  Clicking on this brings another Menu. Select the Advanced Menu and scroll down to the bottom of the list and you come to the Alarm settings.
One of the settings is the file location of the Default Alarm audio file.  Click on this file location and you can choose a new audio file location.

I downloaded a klaxon.wav  audio file and left it in my Download folder, and set this as the file location of the Default audio file.

Now, when my setup calendar event is reached, I get an audio alert, of a klaxon.  :-)

Note: I also discovered by poking around, that by right clicking on the Events heading, in the Daily event window, that the menu that comes up has a Manager....  option.
Clicking on the Manager, brings up a list of past and present, Events, that you have set up.
Here you can delete all the old Events, that are no longer needed.

Bill

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Cool, Bill. Thanks for the tip both for the program and how to handle the sound issue. I wonder if it can play MP3 files as the alarm, as well.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

cod3poet

According to a 2 year old post on the forums there it does not seem so HOWEVER you can always call a commandline player to play the mp3.

https://opensource.com/life/16/8/3-command-line-music-players-linux

I used to use mpg123, however mplayer or VLC will work as well :)
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

Quote from: cod3poet on February 09, 2018, 09:10:25 AM
According to a 2 year old post on the forums there it does not seem so HOWEVER you can always call a commandline player to play the mp3.

I think I'm missing something here. If Rainlendar won't play MP3 files how will having an MP3 player help? Can it call a script instead of playing the wav file and that script start the mp3 player? Just wondering what you mean.

Btw, that's a really cool link. It's rare you see screenshots of CLI music players (or anything). And of course, you would know how to find them :) Great to have you and Bill amongst others in the club. I'm always learning new things.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I did try pointing to an mp3 audio file, in the settings, at first, but there was no Alarm sound, played.

When I pointed to the wav file, I got the Alarm sound, to play.

So unless you can get Rainlendar to call up a mp3 player, like Cod3poet suggested, then a wav audio file has to be pointed to, in the Settings, as far as I can tell.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 09, 2018, 10:47:32 AM
So unless you can get Rainlendar to call up a mp3 player, like Cod3poet suggested, then a wav audio file has to be pointed to, in the Settings, as far as I can tell.

Did you see an option for this, Bill? I mean the ability within the program to start another program? More curious than anything. Don't spend time looking for the answer if you don't know already, Bill. I can always try it and find out myself.

I think I remember you talking about Rainlendar a number of years ago. It seems like a good task and calendar manager program.

ssfc72

No, I didn't see anything, where you could call up an mp3 player.