• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

February 2018 PLUG Meeting: Running elementary OS in a VM: Upsides and Pitfalls

Started by Jason, February 04, 2018, 07:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Should be a great meeting tomorrow with Harry and I as Co-Presenters. We hope you can make it out!

Full details on the main page of the website here:

https://plugintolinux.ca/node/430
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

cod3poet

Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Sorry I can't make this meeting. I'm flying back from the States and won't be back in time. I hate to miss a to-and-fro between Jason and Harry; I'm sure it will be interesting.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Maybe somebody will offer in the future to record meetings and then we can post them on the website for you and other people to view. In any case, there will be a slide show to look at. I'll try and take some notes during Harry's comments, perhaps Bill can, too.

He was always great at taking notes on the meeting and posting them. What do you say, Bill?

ssfc72

Thanks Harry and Jason for the very informative talk about the Distro Elementary and the 2 Virtual Machine software programs, VirtualBox and VMWare player.

All my notebook computers and Desktop computer, only have 4 Gig of memory, so if I had to allow 2 Gig of memory to the virtual machine guest OS, then I think the performance of the computer, would suffer.
So I don't think running a virtual machine software on my computers, would be an option for me.  I will just stick with Dual Booting a windows OS and a Linux Distro and also running Linux Distros from a Live usb flash drive, using the Multiboot program.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

cod3poet

That was a great meeting, it's always good to see new spins on desktop environments and to get a different view on running VM's instead of on bare metal hardware.

Bill I am more in your camp with running of USB sticks vs running VM's for machines with 4gb of ram.

I have to admit though Pantheon was pretty and really simple in a nice and elegant way.
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

My pleasure, Bill. It was fun to do and interact with Harry as co-host. I hope others enjoyed it as well.

As regards the memory allocated to the VM, you might already realize this Bill, but the RAM is only used up if the VM is running. When you shut it down the memory used is returned to the host.

As far as 4 GB being enough, it really depends on the host OS. I find that Windows 10 is okay to use with 4 GB but with less, it starts slowing down. So with Windows 10 as a host, you might not want to use a VM, especially if the OS on that VM uses more than 1 GB of RAM. But if it only uses 1 GB, and a lot of distros can, you should be fine just by allocating only 1 GB to it. And some distros say a minimum of 512 MB so you might be able to get away with less. The other consideration is that consumer laptops don't usually have separate video RAM so you might have 4 GB of RAM, but really 256 MB - 1 GB of RAM is allocated to graphics. That's the case with my ultrabook that I used at the meeting, so the host actually has even less memory available than they state in operation. I hate to say it, too, but Windows 10 is a pig unless it gets 4 GB of RAM, I don't care what Microsoft says. But Linux hosts can do with less.

However, I ran elementary in LM 18.3 Xfce with the same amount of RAM for elementary (1.5 GB) and it ran smoothly. Lighter desktops like Xfce, LXDE and perhaps MATE will use less RAM than Gnome, Cinnamon and (gulp!) KDE. So your best bet is just to note how much RAM you normally have left over with normal usage of your host OS (i.e. running whatever you will be running with guest VM) and then don't give any more than that to your guest. And just try it and see how it goes. There are a lot of factors at play.

I hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Also, the presentation in LibreOffice Impress 5.1.6.2 is attached although it should work in anything from LibreOffice 5.x up. I notice that LibreOffice 6.0 is out, too, for the early adopters!

Jason

Thanks, Brian. I'm glad you enjoyed it even though this is all old hat for you :) I'm really busy this week but email me (or message me here) next week and we'll talk about that thing we talked about more.

cod3poet

Wonderful to see vmware player, it's funny that we walked through that as it actually came in handy in my day today. Centos 7 in Vmware player :)

Thanks Harry!

ssfc72

Yes, I forgot about the notebook video, grabbing some of the computer memory Ram.  So that reduces the notebook resources, futher.

It now occurs to me, that since I have more than one computer/notebook, I don't need to dual boot, with Windows, on them all.
I have imaged all the computers, so I could just blow Windows off one of the machines and only have a Linux Distto installed as a Host and also run a Virtual Machine software, to play around with other Linux Distros. :-)

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 06, 2018, 10:31:12 AM
My pleasure, Bill. It was fun to do and interact with Harry as co-host. I hope others enjoyed it as well.

As regards the memory allocated to the VM, you might already realize this Bill, but the RAM is only used up if the VM is running. When you shut it down the memory used is returned to the host.

As far as 4 GB being enough, it really depends on the host OS. I find that Windows 10 is okay to use with 4 GB but with less, it starts slowing down. So with Windows 10 as a host, you might not want to use a VM, especially if the OS on that VM uses more than 1 GB of RAM. But if it only uses 1 GB, and a lot of distros can, you should be fine just by allocating only 1 GB to it. And some distros say a minimum of 512 MB so you might be able to get away with less. The other consideration is that consumer laptops don't usually have separate video RAM so you might have 4 GB of RAM, but really 256 MB - 1 GB of RAM is allocated to graphics. That's the case with my ultrabook that I used at the meeting, so the host actually has even less memory available than they state in operation. I hate to say it, too, but Windows 10 is a pig unless it gets 4 GB of RAM, I don't care what Microsoft says. But Linux hosts can do with less.

However, I ran elementary in LM 18.3 Xfce with the same amount of RAM for elementary (1.5 GB) and it ran smoothly. Lighter desktops like Xfce, LXDE and perhaps MATE will use less RAM than Gnome, Cinnamon and (gulp!) KDE. So your best bet is just to note how much RAM you normally have left over with normal usage of your host OS (i.e. running whatever you will be running with guest VM) and then don't give any more than that to your guest. And just try it and see how it goes. There are a lot of factors at play.

I hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Also, the presentation in LibreOffice Impress 5.1.6.2 is attached although it should work in anything from LibreOffice 5.x up. I notice that LibreOffice 6.0 is out, too, for the early adopters!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 06, 2018, 04:02:04 PM

It now occurs to me, that since I have more than one computer/notebook, I don't need to dual boot, with Windows, on them all.
I have imaged all the computers, so I could just blow Windows off one of the machines and only have a Linux Distto installed as a Host and also run a Virtual Machine software, to play around with other Linux Distros. :-)

Bearing in mind, of course, that how well a distro works in a VM may not be how well it works on bare metal. So if your purpose is to do a preliminary test to see if it's worth trying, that makes sense. Or if like Harry, all you ever want to do is run the distro in a VM, then that's what you're doing.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13