• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Lite starts new series June first

Started by buster, February 02, 2018, 05:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Linux Lite 4.0 Final will be released on June 1st, 2018. And this starts a long cycle which can be upgraded from release to release.

Traditionally, when you go from the just released 3.8 to 4.0, you must reinstall, because you are going from a 3.* to a 4.*.  I believe the full cycle goes 2 years.  Worth trying the new 3.8, and it will be maintained for awhile, but a fresh install of 4.0 in June will go a long time.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I think you said that this one of the distros that worked well running in a VM, too? It's also on the PLUG list of Beginner Linux Distros. I tried it as a VM and found it quite usable. There's also a discussion of and older version of Linux Lite (3.0 from 2016) here as well as your comment on running it in a VM here with a lovely screenshot :)

Btw, does it use LXDE? I couldn't find mention of that with a quick scan of the website.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

It uses XFCE, which is a wee bit richer and easier than LXDE.

So same as MX Linux, which uses Xfce 4.

BusterE

Distrowatch gave a good review to Linux Lite, and I found out the reviewer, Jesse Smith, uses Lite on some of his computers. Here's his summary:

Lite's value, in my opinion, is not in any one big feature or unique offering, but in the way Lite polishes many little things which make it so much more pleasant to use day-to-day than most other distributions. Lite is an operating system I can use consistently without thinking about it, without distractions, without hiccups and without searching for features I suspect are there, but are tucked away. I've used some powerful distributions this year, and some with really neat, unique features; but probably not any that have offered such a smooth experience as I've had this week. That's why the next friend who asks me to come over and fix their messed up laptop is going to get a fresh copy of Linux Lite.

The full review can be found here. (Note of bias - Buster uses and likes Linux Lite)

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180709#lite
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

I used to really like Xfce but I've since been spoiled by fuller desktop environments like Cinnamon and KDE and even MATE. Now when I use Xfce it just feels clunky. Not to say that other people would - like I say, I used to really like it. Some people may really love its simplicity.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

BusterE

"Now when I use Xfce it just feels clunky. "

Would never occur to me to call it clunky. It's very fast and smooth. Has everything in the menu. And it is my go to Virtual machine on my laptop. I use Mint as well on an older machine on a hard drive. It's good but doesn't have the lightness.

I think you're just spoiled with the opulence of rich desktops Jason. Like living in a mansion.  :) :) :)
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

That's kind of what I said already:D

When I say clunky, I don't mean that it's not smooth or fast. I mean that when I try to do certain things, which unfortunately, I can't remember now, I'm reminded that it's not a full desktop environment. To each their own.

buster

So I looked around to find our how to upgrade Linux Lite 4.0 to 4.2.

There is a button on on menu that says upgrade. So I clicked it, waited say 7 minutes, rebooted and it was done.

And I had Lite 4.2. I suspect it's magic.

Jason

Cool. Easy and smooth as upgrades should be.