• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Need a SATA 2 cable for an internal hd

Started by ssfc72, February 01, 2018, 06:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Does anyone have an extra sata 2 cable they would like to sell?
I am gong to add another hd to my older desktop computer.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

" sata 2 cable"

Is that the wide gray one? If I have one sitting around you can have it.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

No, the wide grey one would  be and IDE cable.

A SATA 2 cable is flat and narrow, maybe 1/4" wide.

Thanks anyway, Buster!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

William Park

I got plenty.  I'll bring one to the meeting.  Do you want long or short length?

ssfc72

Thanks William!  About 8" long should be fine.

Jason

I have some extras, too. I'm not sure what the difference is between SATA and SATA II though. How would you tell them apart? Anyway, I'll bring mine too just in case William is unable to make it, Bill.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I believe SATA, SATA II and SATA III are just based on transfer of DATA speeds.  The cable connectors, I expect may be the same but the cable is rated for a higher transfer speed if it is classed as SATA II or III.

I found that the ads for the cables, say that SATA III cables are backwards compatible with SATA II connectors.

Jason

Gotcha. I have no idea what mine are although I expect they're rated at least for SATA II as SATA I is pretty old.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Hi William.

If you have lots of stuff William, I could use a power connector for the hd and power unit that uses the narrow connectors- narrow at both ends would work well.

I have a sata cable, but no way to power an extra hd I acquired by destroying a laptop with wine. Of course only if it's convenient to you!

I'll buy you a coffee (and a cheap dessert if you really pressure me).

Sorry I don't know the names of things. I just poke about til everything fits.

Jason

Buster, doesn't your power supply have an extra SATA power cable? Or, are you saying you need an adapter to go from the old 4-pin "thick" style to SATA power?

buster

"Buster, doesn't your power supply have an extra SATA power cable?"

One of the used power cables has a connector along it's length that fits!!!!

Think of the money I'm saving!!! So William, I don't need a cable. And I'm not buying you a donut either. But I will buy you a coffee.