• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu Mate reviewed on Distrowatch

Started by buster, January 23, 2018, 10:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Pretty positive review for the standard desktop. Some small negative points about the Unity lookalike called Mutiny.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180122#ubuntumate
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

A very good review. Until I read it, I wasn't aware that Ubuntu mate has two Unity-like configurations: Mutiny and Contemporary, and both have the HUD (head up display) feature of Unity. I had no idea that HUD could be incorporated into a non-Unity desktop. Although I rarely use the feature when running Unity, it is a good one for quickly finding the menu function you are looking for in a particular program. Ubuntu mate (and the mate desktop to a large extent) has made tremendous strides in usability, and is now well beyond gnome 2 in useful features. I'm guessing that even the small glitches in Mutiny will be fixed by the next version if not before.

Most of you are hooked on Windows xp/7-type menu function, which the standard version of mate provides. Me, I'm now a convert to the vertical dock on the left side of the display along with the ability to find an app not on my dock by typing in the first letters of its name. Unity, Gnome, Cinnamon and mate all provide these options, and I think xfce, Budgie and KDE do as well. This is what I love about Linux - lots of choice!
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I liked Ubuntu MATE over the time that I used it. I preferred the Cupertino layout back then. It's an excellent distribution and on our list of Beginner Linux Distros.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13