• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Undeleting a file using the Windows based Recuva program

Started by ssfc72, January 21, 2018, 11:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So, I deleted a file document (I believe it may have been a pdf file) on my Mint 18 ( it was deleted and not just sent to the Trash folder).

I then realized I would like to try and undelete the file, to have another look at the contents.

I tried the command Line utility, Test Disk, which was already available on my Mint 18.  I tried to follow instructions, that I Googled, but the program seems to be quite complex and I could not get it working, following the instructions.
I also tried PhotoRec, which is also part of Test Disk, but again, I could not understand how to use the program.

I recalled using the Recuva, Windows OS based file recovery program and how easy it was to use that program.
I Googled for info on a Linux equivalent of Recuva and was surprised to read that the latest version of Recuva does recognize the Linux EXT3, EXT 4 etc., file system.

I rebooted my notebook into Windows 10 and ran the Recuva program and sure enough, Recuva did see my Linux EXT4 partitions.
I ran various searches for the deleted file and the results came back with a large listing of deleted files.
Unfortunately I did not see the file I was looking for, but at least I now know of an easy to use, Windows OS based program, that can recover files from a Linux EXT4 partition. :-)

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Cool, Bill. Thanks for sharing. I haven't tried to use one of those file recovery programs in a long time though I have InSync backing up all my data to Google drive on a regular basis so I probably wouldn't need it. But still good to know there is one out there.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I've been thinking about that but haven't had the time lately to search for one. I think Recuva can be used from a flash drive which would let you use it with Linux without requiring Windows but I'm not sure. There really should be. Maybe it will be something I can someday write :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13