• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Tim Hortons demonstration, Wed 4:40 pm Monaghan Rd.

Started by ssfc72, January 10, 2018, 08:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I see there is suppose to be a demonstration Wed. at the above Tim Hortons, in support of the Tim Hortons workers, who are having their benefits cut, by various Tim Horton franchise's owners, due to the minimum wage increase.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Yeah, I saw that, too. Two of my progressive friends shared the email for it. And it's not just here. Here's the original media advisory:

QuoteMedia Advisory: Day of action in support of workers at Tim Hortons

PETERBOROUGH -  Peterborough is one of more than 15 communities across Ontario, where actions will be organized on January 10th outside Tim Hortons stores to demand that the corporation not roll back workers’ wages and benefits.

When Ontario’s minimum wage increased to $14, many Tim Hortons stores immediately began to eliminate workers’ paid breaks, reduce access to basic drug and dental benefits, eliminate uniform and drink allowances, and even cut employees’ hours of work.

What:         Peterborough Rally

Where:       898 Monaghan Rd (near Lansdowne)

Date:           January 10

Time:          4:30 p.m.

This is outrageous coming from a hugely profitable multinational company. The Tim Hortons corporation dictates virtually every detail of the franchise-owner’s business practice. It even stipulates the required net worth (at least $1.5 million) of any potential franchise owner. As the supplier of Tim Hortons products, the corporation sets the price of everything from sugar to its pre-cooked donuts. It’s clear the parent corporation has the power to fully restore workers’ wages, benefits and working conditions.

Quick Facts:

·         In 2016, Tim Hortons generated US$3.00 billion in revenue for its parent company Restaurant Brands International (RBI).

·         That same year RBI CEO Daniel Schwartz pocketed $6,173,993 in wages, stock options and other perks.

·         An additional US$350 million in profits were given out to shareholders.

Other communities where actions are taking place across Ontario include, Cobourg, Dundas, Guelph, London, Ottawa, Windsor and numerous locations in Toronto.
-30-

I don't know if I'll join in or not. Not really a big protest guy though I agree Tim Hortons franchisees shouldn't be stripping other benefits to make up for the minimum wage increase. I don't think the corporation can force the franchisees into new terms that didn't exist when they signed the agreements unless they are renewed on a regular basis though. They could certainly make it a requirement of new franchises, though.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I think the Burger King owners, of Tim Hortons maybe might have a clause in their legal agreement, that the franchisee can't do any action that would be detrimental to the Brand.
With the extremely bad press/public uprising being created, I think Burger King has a case for threatening to yank a franchisee operation.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I don't know. When that franchise in Cobourg started all this fuss, Tim Hortons corporate said that wages and benefits were up to the franchise as long as they followed local regulations and laws. Though they've said they didn't like what some franchises were doing, they didn't threaten any action against them. I'd be very surprised if they pulled or even threatened to pull a franchise. But I guess we're about to find out.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13