• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Anyone with DDR3 ram stick for desktop?

Started by William Park, January 06, 2018, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Park

I need DDR3 ram stick to bring an old desktop alive.  Anyone here with spare DDR3 stick?
--William

dougal

I'm also trying to locate some DDR3 desktop ram...need a stick to spark up an old gateway tower that someone no longer wants...anyone have any suggestions where to check ...most retail ram looks to be about $40+ for 4gb stick....

ssfc72

Wow, you guys must have some pretty recent computers!

I have qty 2 sticks of  1G DDR2 memory, if anyone needs some.  I have a year 2008 desktop that I bumped up to 4G of memory, about a year ago.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 14, 2018, 06:00:29 AM
Wow, you guys must have some pretty recent computers!

I was thinking that, too, Bill. When did computers with DDR3 ram become old? Is everybody using DDR4 now? I'm so behind the times. Lol.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Actually, Bill, I could use those DDR2 RAM sticks, please! Now, what might I have that you could use as a decent trade? I have another printer its previous owner referred to as a fax machine, but I haven't tested it yet - I'm just loading another computer with Win7 so I can do that, and a couple of other maintenance jobs. Perhaps a nice media server?! Giveaway Linux box for someone in your neighbourhood?!

See you next week! <^8#

ssfc72

OK Bob, I will set the DDR2 sticks aside, for you. Next time I am in ptbo, I could drop them in your mailbox (if you still have home delivery of postal mail :-)  )
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

bobf

Oh, yeah... I will so long as THEY will...! <^8#

I've gotta believe that there'll come a point when Canada Post has to be folded up, but...??

buster

'I've gotta believe that there'll come a point when Canada Post has to be folded up, but...??'

It will be a while. What will happen is that home delivery will be a few days a week. But it's my understanding that package delivery makes them quite a bit of money. And that part of their business is growing because people are shopping on line.

Also we have many people living in remote places in our country. A business operation would not want to go there and would charge an arm and a leg to deliver.

I use snail mail a lot, and some people on our street do not have computers. (When we older people die, society can do as it wants.) Stand in a post office for a while. The volume is pretty steady.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

The package and courier parts of their services make them quite a bit of money as Buster says. In fact, the government is requiring them to push those profits back into Canada Post. They are separate corporate entities, I understand, even though to us it appears all the same when we have to send or receive a package (i.e. Canada Post outlets).

As far as being a business, they actually are, believe it or not. Canada Post was separated from the government as a service in 1981 (i.e. privatized) and became a Crown corporation with a mandate that required providing mail service to every Canadian. Though the government of Canada still backed Canada Post financially, this happened so that it would operate with more independence and become more profitable. It's a business and has been since 1981, it's just that its majority ownership is the federal government. And throughout most of this time it has been profitable so it required no revenues from the federal government. To quote Wikipedia:

QuoteFor 16 years up until 2011, Canada Post realized an annual profit, and it has since had several profitable years.[47] In 2011 Canada Post posted a pretax loss of $253 million, due in part to a 25-day employee lockout, and a $150 million pay equity class action lawsuit.[47] In 2012 Canada Post rebounded to post a profit of $98 million before tax.[48] In 2013 Canada Post lost $37 million overall.[49] The Canada Post group's gross profit in 2014 was $269 million.[50] In 2015, the corporation continued to remain profitable, posting a $136 million profit before tax.[51] In 2016, Canada Post recorded its 3rd consecutive profitable year, making $114 million before tax. In total, Canada Post has made a net profit of $266 million since 2012.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Post

Canada Post also owns a majority stake in Purolator Courier and partnerships with Fedex to provide delivery of packages to the US. That can't hurt their bottom line. Enough that other courier companies have tried to sue Canada Post alleging unfair competition in that they could subsidize CP parcel service (and thus reduce the cost of it) with revenues from Purolator.

They're not going anywhere although like you say, Buster, eventually it will be less days a week and I think it won't be long before they only deliver once a week except where companies pay them extra for time sensitive material like bills. With the government backing off converting people to super mailboxes, they will have to find new ways to save money.

There was a time when I checked my mailbox every day. But now it's uncommon to get more than one or two letters a week though I still seem to get lots of flyers (heck, they probably make more money doing that now). And the letters are mostly just groups asking for money.

I'm curious, Buster, do you write letters much? Who do you write to and how often? It might seem nosy but I'm genuinely curious.

I wrote letters (mostly to my then girlfriend) when I was a teenager but have only written a smattering of them since then and now it's usually just the odd letter-to-the-editor maybe once a year and that's just sent to them via email.

I'm transcribing letters from the 18th century written by anti-slavery activists and find them fascinating and such great penmanship! Back then, at least in the US, postage was paid by the receiver of letters at a rate per page. Cross-writing was used to save on pages since common courtesy demanded it on long missives.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13