• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Clonezilla reported problems with restoring an image

Started by ssfc72, July 08, 2016, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So, I finally got the Windows Update on my Acer 11.6" notebook (Win7 64bit and Mint 17.3), telling me that the Win 10 Update was available.

I did the Win 10 update and it was a long process but everything went well and I wound up with Win 10 dual booting with Mint 17.3 (the boot menu still was showing win 10 as Win 7?)
I then used Clonezilla to create an image of the notebook's hard drive (the original 500G drive with partitions shrunk in size)

I then used Clonezilla to restore an earlier image of notebook hard drive that had Win 7 and Mint 17.3, where I had shrunk down the size of the partitions of the hard drive.

During the restore, Clonezilla reported that there was a problem with the Windows partition and something to do with the size of the partition.
Clonzilla kept on going and a whole pile of text information was being shown on the screen.
Clonezilla finished up and then indicated everything was good?

I booted up the notebook and everything was fine.  :-)  I had Win 7 and Mint 17.3 back on the notebook.

As a side note, this Clonezilla image of Win 7 and Mint 17.3 with the hard drive partitions shrunk in size, has so far been unsuccessful in restoring to a smaller 250G SSD.
The partitions size is much less than 250G, so it should fit on the smaller hard drive.  I will have to post my problem to the Clonezilla forum to try and find out what I am doing wrong.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I suspect that this is due to the way your data are organized on the partitions. I "think" it can only install on a smaller drive if the contiguous free space is large enough. If I'm right, defragging each partition might make it possible.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

Nah, weirdness abounds! <^8# I just traded Stefan a 640GB HDD for a 500GB HDD so he can set up a full-size array in his new Tyan server!! <^8# Purty nice-lookin'
in there!!

Anyway, taking Mike Fox's suggestion, rather than go back and figure out what "right" set of expert parameters let me successfully move a larger image to a smaller drive using Clonezilla in bygone days, I backed up a Win7HB 64-bit system by partition. First, the 100MB boot partition alone. Then, the main Win partition alone. Third, both as partitions in one pass. Swapped the drive, thought it should be child's play to resurrect it. Not...

First pass: Would only install the boot partition from the 'full' partition image, some (consistent throughout) message about 'not updating the partition tables, not restoring the boot sector...' ?!? OK, figured I'd do them one at a time. Couldn't; it created a 465GB *boot* partition on the first go!!

GPartEd, reduced it to 100MB (MiB, if we're getting technical...), tried it again with the second standalone partition. No go. Had to go BACK into GPartEd and create the second partition as NTFS, *back* into Clonezilla, THEN put back the second partition. Same message about partition tables and boot sectors, remember... Success, but...

No go. Had to get out my Windows DVD and initialize the drive with "Startup Repair" to get it to boot - good to go... Sort of...!!

Somehow, my 100MB boot partition is *now* 9+ GB in size, when 100MB is over 3 times too large ALREADY!! So out comes GPartEd once again, and I reduced the size of the boot partition, once again, to 100MB, then pulled the main partition back over to claim the space. *5 hours* later, the reconfiguration was, once again, a success - kind of...

On this boot-up, Windows halts with a panic and directs me once again to put in my Windows DVD, whereupon it 1) ran System Repair without needing intervention or direction this time, 2) upon reboot, IMMEDIATELY goes into scandisk on BOTH partitions, 3) satisfies itself (I'm guessing!) that it's *not mental* (oh, *I* think it is!!), reboots, and...

Bob's yer uncle! <^8#

Glad I took the shortcut this time!! <^8# The other, expert, parameter-laden method I'm going to have to scare up again; THIS required much more intervention than any "straight" (read: non-techie typical user) I know would've been capable of...!