• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Libraries Digital offerings

Started by ssfc72, January 03, 2018, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I happen to log on to the Lindsay library, to see what was available through the digital download service, Overdrive.

I was surprised to be presented with a digital service called Hoopla.  This digital service provides a streaming service of movies, audiobooks etc.  If you get their app on your phone, you can apparently store the media on your phone for later viewing/listening.

However, the Hoopla web site said it did not support Linux. :-(

Using my Opera browser on my Mint 18.3 notebook, I was presented with a "browser not supported" complaint, when I tried the library Link to Hoopla.
I then installed an Extension onto my Opera browser to spoof another browser and when I tried Hoopla again, spoofing as Firefox, I got onto Hoopla, a list of movies, etc.

However, when I tried to stream the movie, nothing worked. :-(

So, I fired up my Firefox browser, in Mint 18.3 and I was successful in streaming the movie. :-)  Firefox did prompt me to accept playing DRM media.

The Overdrive digital media service is also still available at the Lindsay Library web page.

As for the Peterborough Library, they seem to have the Hoopla and Overdrive digital media service as well as numerous other digital services 
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

My wife has been quite enjoying listening to audiobooks via Overdrive of late. She's gone through several books in the space of a week or two. I've been listening to one book, Carrie Fisher's recent autobiography, The Princess Diarist, read by herself. She has some great stories and is quite funny.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I was able to, from my Linux Mint computer, watch the movies, available on the Overdrive library service.
I am currently watching the movie, McLintock, a western, starring John Wayne.  It is a streaming video service.

I have the Overdrive software program, installed on my Mint Distro computer.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Good to know, Bill. I hadn't realized that Overdrive provides movies.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

The selection of movies is somewhat limited and most are not what I would call top category movies.  There are a few good movies,  though.