• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Distrowatch reviews a Mepis Grandchild sort of favourably.

Started by buster, January 01, 2018, 11:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

A quote from the end of the review:

"Personally, I was very happy with MX, more so than I have been with most operating systems I have experimented with in the past six months. Not necessarily because MX is an objectively better distribution, but because I think the developers have similar tastes to my own. This shows up in little details. For example, I like my system to be quiet and not distracting. MX features very few notifications and sound effects are disabled. The theme is slightly dark, but not so dark as to make the contrast jarring. There is just one desktop panel, aligned vertically down the left side of the display, just the way I like it. The developers walk a middle road I like on performance, features and visuals. In short, there was very little I had to do to get MX looking and acting exactly the way I wanted and this meant I spent very little time adjusting settings or turning off features I didn't want and more time getting things done."

Here's the full review:

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180101#mx

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I just finished reading the review when I saw your post. Jesse was very positive about it. The main complaints were that some of the settings might be harder for beginners than the Ubuntu/Mint equivalents and that many of the packages are old (since it's based on Debian Stable). Perhaps someone would like to demo it at our next meeting.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

For those interested in more, Buster also wrote about MX Linux back early last year here where he also went a bit into the origins of MX.

http://forums.plugintolinux.ca/index.php/topic,136.msg669.html#msg669

And for those concerned about the time I posted this, I actually went to bed early last night and woke up about half an hour ago  :P
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

MX Linux installs well in virtual. Could not get drag and drop to MS host to work. Looks good. Old style. Everything you need is somewhere in the menu. Quick.

Nostalgic.

Since no D&D, it's now gone. (Have only Mint and openSUSE in virtual on my laptop now.)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on January 04, 2018, 09:15:48 AM
Since no D&D, it's now gone. (Have only Mint and openSUSE in virtual on my laptop now.)

D&D? I'm assuming you don't mean Dungeons & Dragons.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13