• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Partition shrinking

Started by ssfc72, December 30, 2017, 09:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So, on my dual boot (Win 10/Mint 18.3) 11" HP notebook, I was getting a nag that my disk space was low, when running Mint18. :-(

The notebook has a 500 MB hard drive and the Win partition had a huge amount of free space.

So, in order to not mess up the Win 10 partition, I used the Disk manager in Win 10, to shrink the Win 10 partition ( instead of using GParted).
The Shrink operation went fine and I wound up with a chunk of unallocated disk space, to the right of the now smaller, Win partition.
The Mint partition was to the right of the Unallocated disk space.

I then booted up GParted from a usb flash drive and used GParted to expand the Mint partition, to the left and into the unallocated space.
Gparted warned me that moving a Linux partition might corrupt the booting of the computer.

I had imaged for a backup, so I went ahead with the Gparted operation, fully expecting to wind up with a computer that wouldn't boot up.
To my surprise, I was able to boot into Mint and Win 10, without a problem. :-)

Now I have lots of free disk space on my Mint partition.

Thank you, GParted! :-)

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

This would have been a problem with the Lilo boot loader we used years ago which looked for a spot on the hard drive, an exact spot, to boot. I think Grub can search and read. Or at any rate find the right software to do a boot.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

It probably just gives you that warning because moving a partition might change the boot order. Like if you moved the Linux partition to the left/before Windows 10. It likely wouldn't boot then as this change could cause a change in the drive lettering. Although I think now UUIDs are used to it probably still wouldn't be an issue and this is just an outdated warning.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Brings up my presentation about matching UUID's in grub and gparted.  :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13