• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Photo Slide scanner - anyone have one?

Started by ssfc72, December 24, 2017, 08:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I have some photo slides, that I would like to scan/digitize, so that I can then dispose of the slides and perhaps find a new home for my slide projector.

Does anyone have one of those small slide scanners or a flat bed scanner (for slides), that I could borrow or rent?

Thanks

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

It's probably not justified unless you have lots of slides but it looks like you can some pretty inexpensive (under $100) slide scanners now:

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362752,00.asp
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the Link Jason!
It appears those under $100 USD scanners are only photograph scanners.  The scanners that do slides (Transparencies) are considerably more money. :-(

From what I gather from reading on the internet about scanning photo slides and film, some of those under $100 slide scanners are basically just a 5 Mega pixel camera.  They apparently produce a somewhat OK image of the slide picture, for viewing on a computer, but if you want to print out a picture of the photo, the picture may not be that great.

YouTube has a number of do it yourself videos on how you can scan your slide/film, using your own higher MegaPixel digital DSLR camera. If you have a non-slide, scanning flat bed scanner, there is a template you can download, to make a special reflector for use on these flat bed scanners.

These do it yourself videos, may give better results than using the under $100 slide scanners.

I will give both YouTube methods a try, with my photo slides, since I do have a 20 Mega Pixel Sony mirrorless camera and I also have  a non-slide scanning, flat bed scanner.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Ah, you're right. My mistake. This one seems to have a good review but is closer to $200 (and probably over with conversion):

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2430106,00.asp

It may not be great quality but yeah, you're gonna to have to pay for that if you want it. There must be somebody that does this as a service in Peterborough.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13