• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Build Apps without knowing code

Started by ssfc72, November 21, 2017, 10:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

A very informative BBC article about a young USA woman who has started a business to teach people the tools they can use to build an App without knowing Code.
She knows because she did it herself.  She is apparently quite smart because she has worked for companies such as Microsoft, Squarespace and Google.

Her startup school is called,  Apps without Code.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42050952

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I'm pretty suspicious how well this works in practice. Sure, there are ways of writing apps using programs that use drag and drop to create user interfaces, but they tend not to be very good and terribly slow. And the app she shows in her video looks like crap, quite honestly. Now it may work great but it's incredibly simple which is why you might be able to make it with little code (I object to saying no code, though, something has to deal with the data). She also admits she's not a developer herself so not sure how she thinks it's possible to make all these apps without code when she's only produced one.

Now here's where it gets really weird. The app Kollection that she shows in the video on TED (linked from the article) that she created without code. I can't find it. Kollecto isn't in the app store for Apple or Android. The website says Kollecto is on Sabbatical, whatever that means and refers you to click to see what they're up which takes her to her blog which has all this advice about startups. But the links to the ToolKit don't work in Chrome (at least not for me), though they seem to work in Firefox. Several of the links lead to 404 errors from her blog, too. The last post on her blog was also in February. That's almost a year ago. Her last Kolecto tweet was from the summer of last year. I bet you that she just got a bunch of startup capital that wasn't renewed when she couldn't actually deliver on her claims.

It's a shame that BBC Business didn't actually bother to investigate her claims, see how the company is doing and so on. It looks like they just recycled a story from 1-2 years ago.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13