• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Anyone have a set of surplus stereo computer speakers?

Started by ssfc72, October 18, 2017, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

My nice, smallish computer speaker system gave out on me.  It was a cheapie set but it had good sound and had a small woofer speaker, as well as the stereo speakers.

So, if anyone has a  a set of surplus computer stereo speakers, that you aren't using, that are in almost like new condition, I would be interested in them.

I cracked open the speaker with the controls and there is a circuit board with 2 IC's and lots of electrolytic capacitors.  It appears the audio signal is not getting passed through the circuit board because I can hear a very soft hum from the speakers, so the speakers are being powered but no audio signal is being received.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

Turns out the computer speaker system I have is a Cyber Acoustic model 3001.

I was able to find this model at Staples for $33, so I got a new unit.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

That brand certainly sounds familiar. Did a search and they look just like the ones I have. I guess speaker technology isn't upgraded all that often. I think I got them at Staples for about the same price many years ago.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Glad to hear it, Bill, but I would've liked to get some of the surplus here out the door. Electrolytics, you say?! Maybe you'd better bring them in next time you're by, and I'll show 'em all the great stuff I've learned at the Electronics School of Hard Knocks!

I say that because, last night, I fixed a dual-band HT rubber ducky antenna whose 3pf ceramic cap needed resoldering - and I figured it out and fixed it! I'm a big-time electronics uber-guy now! <^8# You watch - I'll be desoldering and resoldering capacitors on motherboards next - WHETHER THEY NEED IT OR NOT! <^8#

I'm *so* butch! <^8#

ssfc72

As soon as I saw all those electrolytics, I thought, boy Bob would have fun testing these out! :-)