• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 17.10

Started by fox, October 11, 2017, 06:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I downloaded and installed the beta 2 on my 2011 iMac. While I could have added back the Unity DE, I wanted to try Ubuntu's modified version of gnome. Been using it a week and I'm quite happy with it. The desktop is almost identical to that of Unity, and all the pieces work well together. My only tweak was to use the Flat Remix icons, which are now my favourites. All of my programs worked out of the box except Simplenote, which would install but not start up. However, there was a snap package for it, which does work. Ubuntu 17.10 actually feels faster than 17.04, but this may be because my 17.04 installations are upgrades on Ubuntu going back at least to 14.04. While still a beta, I haven't had any obvious problems with it so far. Has anyone else tried it yet?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Just installed it in a VM. Haven't played with it much yet, though. Interesting that you can still install Unity but then I realized 16.04 was an LTS and will have it for quite some time yet so it'll still be in the repositories until 16.04 is no longer supported.

Happened to see this suggested review in the news on my phone. Looks interesting:

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/84866.html
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Thanks for the link Jason. It looks pretty good as a desktop. In a week it's stable I guess. Should be popular, even with the likes of someone called Mike.  :)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I agree that it really looks nice; nicest implementation of Gnome that I've seen in a distro. I even like the wallpaper. The only thing I don't is the default icons. Changed them quickly to Flat Remix; the desktop really looks good with that being the sole change from Ubuntu's default.

fox

Ubuntu 17.10 was released today, along with the other desktop flavours.