• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Windows Phone is dead

Started by Jason, October 10, 2017, 12:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

It's official. Windows Phone is no more. There will still be security updates and bug fixes to support existing hardware but no new hardware for the foreseeable future or new versions of the OS.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/windows-phone-is-now-officially-dead-a-sad-tale-of-what-might-have-been/
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Microsoft should have bought out Blackberry. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Would have been cheaper than buying Nokia. But Blackberry isn't doing very well, either.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Interestingly enough, the Ars Technica guy who wrote the article thought highly of the Windows OS and laments its loss. While I wouldn't buy one out of principle, the tile interface does make sense on a phone.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

And I *know* you know what I'm going to say about that next... If Micro$oft hadn't been so damned arrogant when they shoved Win8 and the Metro GUI into each and every user's face & life, and had, instead, touted the evolutionary upgrade/buff'n'polish from Win7 - "and - HEY! Check out the new features we've built into it! We're building the same interface into cellphones & tablets - you could have a completely consistent interface on all of your devices! Try it, and see if you like it!"

History has been written...

Jason

I don't think Windows 7 on a phone makes much sense but the Metro interface did. The large squares seem like a good idea for touch. The article mentions the problems they had, many of which were poor design choices early on like trying to build on Windows Mobile instead of a new OS and poor feature-set resulting in a lack of users. Fewer users mean fewer developers and fewer apps which in turn means fewer users. Vicious circle.