• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Cogeco's extremely poor repair service - 3 days to swap out the modem

Started by ssfc72, September 29, 2017, 01:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I got up at 9 am Tuesday and went to the computer to get on the internet, only to find the modem had only the power light, working.
Since my Cogeco home phone service was also down, I had to use my pay as you go, cell phone, to talk to their support person. The phone call lasted 30 minutes.

After doing the standard, unplug then plug the modem and also pressing the rest button a few times, the support person said they would have to send a Tech person.
The earliest time I could get was 3 days later, on Thursday from 5 pm to 8pm. :-(

That is abysmal service!  I would have expected a Tech, should have been at my door later that same afternoon, to swap out the modem.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I agree that's bad although I don't know if anybody else would be better. It sucks to do without the Internet.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Yes, but it's worse than that. We have the same setup - internet, then VoIP depending on it, so when it goes down, it goes down HARD!

And *just* after we'd converted, we had a momentary blackout, *just* long enough to jam up the phone system, and Rachelle FREAKED! "We're going back to Bell!" "Oh, no we're NOT!", and I went out and bought another UPS, specifically to underpin the cable modem, the VoIP modem, and the cordless phone system in the house!

If it goes down again, she just *might* make me go back to Bell...!! So it can NEVER, EVER, GO DOWN AGAIN! (For any reason, any day, any time, under any circumstance!)

Wish me luck... <^8#

ssfc72

Stick to your guns, on not going back to Bell!

I don't imagine Bell is using the POTS system for telephone calls, anymore.  Their system is probably using VOIP, just like Cogeco, and if their computer network goes down, then the phones will go down as well.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"I don't imagine Bell is using the POTS system for telephone calls, anymore.  Their system is probably using VOIP, just like Cogeco, and if their computer network goes down, then the phones will go down as well."

I kept an old Princess phone. I have used it for years when the power goes off and my regular phone/answering machine wont work because we have no power. I just plug it into a wall jack. And yes we use Bell (and even worse I use Win 10  :o ).

So we not only had power problems where I live a week and  half ago, but we had 'brown' power, with a few lights just barely working. So I threw the main power switch. I wondered what would happen with my old Princess phone because of the fibe and plugged it in.

It worked. Now it only had to run about 3 hours. But I had the feeling it would keep working.

Just saying.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.