• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Mysms - receive sms text maessages, from any device, phone tablet computer

Started by ssfc72, August 02, 2017, 09:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Mike, at last evenings MUG, you were asking me about something that I had said a few months ago, about receiving sms text messages from any device.

I believe the Mysms program is what I had recommended.  Go to mysms.com for info.

This programs appears to do what you are looking for.  I think It should allow you to access your Iphone sms text messages , from any other device, tablet , computer , another Android phone.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Thanks for recommending this, Bill. Unfortunately, neither the mirroring feature nor the sending of text from an Android tablet work with mySMS when the link is to an iPhone rather than an Android phone. According to the mySMS website, Apple stops third party texting apps from working like this on an iPhone. I don't really understand this. I can text from my iPhone through other apps (specifically whatsapp). Also, if I text to my phone from the tablet in mySMS, that text shows up on the phone and a return text from the phone shows up on the tablet. But I cannot send a text from the tablet nor from the phone (through mySMS) to anyone but myself.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Does the TextPlus app work on your iphone?

You would however, have to get you iphone contacts people to sent text messages to your Textplus phone number, instead of your iphone number.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

I wouldn't use TextPlus on my iPhone even if it exists for iOS. Apple Message works really well for both iPhone and Android users. I have another app on my iPhone that I use for some people that subscribe to it: whatsapp. So I have ways of texting on both the iPhone and the Android tablet, but the cost of using Android in an Apple ecosystem is you don't get stuff mirrored. Apple message is very smooth, and if you set it to do so, you can send a text from an iPhone, iPad or Mac computer and you get the sting of messages on all three. I've already broken that by using Linux on my Apple computers. But it would have been nice if there was a way to use or spoof Apple message on the Android tablet. 
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

For those who have Android phones, another app to allow you to recive and send sms texts, from your pc,tablet, andrid phone, is called, Mightytext ( mightytext.net)

bobf

As ever, I hate to be an Apple basher, but it seems entirely self-serving and obstructionist for Apple iOS to do that. I can readily concur that Apple apps work very well, and work together very well, so the implicit question in that moment becomes, "Why would you need anything else?" (Like, perhaps, a brain?!)

Apple... <shaking head...>