• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

OpenSuse Leap

Started by fox, June 22, 2016, 08:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I downloaded this one today and installed it in a virtual machine. It was the Gnome version. It ran very well, is pretty customizable, and comes with a decent collection of software. The software isn't the latest and greatest, but it's pretty recent and not far off from Ubuntu 16.04. One thing I was particularly impressed with is that it came with Gnome Tweak Tool pre-installed. Another was that the Virtualbox tools worked out of the box; I didn't even have to install them. Once I added the rpmfusion repo, it was easy to install VLC and Chrome. At no time did I have the freezing issues I experienced with Fedora. My one complaint is that the default fonts don't look as nice as those in Ubuntu and Fedora. I'm sure that is fixable.

If you want a latest-and-greatest, rolling release distro, OpenSuse makes this in Tumbleweed. I was tempted to try this, but the main caution they issue is for those that are using proprietary video drivers for Radeon and Nvidia cards. My iMac has a Nvidia card; that's why I tried Leap instead. Maybe one of you will try Tumbleweed and report on this.

Incidentally, an alpha of the newest version of Leap was just issued, but even the devs report that it has a lot of bugs to squash before it is released.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13