• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

VMWare with Win 10

Started by buster, May 13, 2017, 05:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

My old laptop had a midnight fight with a very good glass of Argentinian Merlot and was soundly defeated. So I found quite a nice Acer Win 10 laptop on sale. A huge improvement over the now dead one.

Rather than a dual boot, I thought I'd try a virtual machine and chose VMWare ( because everyone else uses Virtual Box  :)).

VMWare seems better than I remember it. The latest release worked well and was easy to use. Tools were a simple click. Used UbuntuMate 17.04 because I'm familiar with it. Easy install.

Here's why I'm writing - The hardware is so good, or the new VMWare is so improved, that for the first time, TuxRacer works, and it works better in this virtual than on a full install on my admittedly not new desktop. Is this awesome or what?

So I can do my downloads more safely in Linux and drag and drop to Win 10, or I can move the files on my local network to where I want them. Mate sees my other computers! And I didn't have to do anything to set up my local network. Everything just seems to work.

Now I don't want anyone writing back and saying,"Oh yeah, I've had that for 8 years now." That would be very disappointing. And I think very rude.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I used VMware to install a Mac VM on Linux because the tools don't work on a Mac VM in Virtualbox. Prior to switching from MacOS to Linux, I used VMware Fusion for Windows and Linux VMs. The drag and drop from Mac to and from VM desktop works well in Fusion, unlike in VirtualBox. Virtualbox now has that in its tools, but that feature doesn't seem to work.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

What size screen, does your new laptop have, Harry?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.