• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 17.04 and Gnome on Wayland

Started by fox, April 28, 2017, 01:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Ubuntu 17.04 has been out for a few weeks, and I recently installed it on three of my Macs as an upgrade from 16.10. Unity and standard Gnome work as expected, and the Plasma desktop is no longer bailing on my wifi after a period of sleep. I have the Gnome desktop installed on two of those Macs (both iMacs), and I noticed that there is now an option for running Gnome on Wayland. This was not an option in 16.10. Unfortunately, when I tried it, I got a blank (black) display on both machines, so either Ubuntu Gnome running on Wayland isn't ready for prime time yet or it doesn't work with the Mac versions of Radeon and Nvidia graphics cards (both using the open source driver). Has anyone out there with 17.04 installed got Gnome on Wayland working? I know that Gnome on Wayland works in some distros and machines, as it works in Fedora 25 on my 11" Acer.

Update: I also tried it on my 2012 Mac mini and on this Mac, Gnome Wayland works! The difference is probably the video card - the mini has an Intel 4000 video card. I'm going to play with it a bit and see how stable it is.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13