• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Lite - add to beginner distros?

Started by fox, March 31, 2017, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

About a month ago we were talking about beginner distros to recommend to new potential Linux users and one that never got mentioned was Linux Lite. i have no experience with it myself, but in the most recent update posted on DistroWatch, they state: "Linux Lite, a beginner friendly distribution based on Ubuntu. The new version, Linux Lite 3.4, makes it easier to schedule software updates, install third-party drivers and create a restore point for the operating system." The listing on DistroWatch ([urlhttp://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lite](here)[/url] shows a welcome menu that looks to have a lot of the nice features as that of Ubuntu Mate. Do any of you have any experience with Linux Lite? Should it be added to our "beginner distro" section?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I haven't tried it in a while but just on memory, I'd tend to agree. I'll try it out in virtualbox again. But other comments are certainly welcome.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Definitely! I've been using it on spares for quite awhile now, and seems well-featured and stable. I thought I was having a problem with the distro not being able to handle the new versions of Adobe Flash Player for Linux, but it turns out it's older AMD processors...