• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu Budgie

Started by William Park, March 26, 2017, 12:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Park

Here is another distro for you guys to try out:  Ubuntu Budgie.

fox

I think it's still considered to be in beta; at least the official Ubuntu version (17.04). i like some of the features of the Budgie desktop, so I installed it on my vanilla Ubuntu 16.10 version a few months ago. I used the version in the repositories. Unfortunately, I got some interference with the Unity desktop, so I uninstalled it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I used Budgie in SolusOS. I believe that team designed Budgie as a new desktop environment. I found it interesting to use. Of course, the benefit to using Ubuntu Budgie will be that you have a lot more packages for it from Ubuntu. SolusOS is a new distro built from scratch so has a more limited library of apps. MUO has a shootout between Budgie-Remix and SolusOS but it's from last year:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/battle-budgie-desktops-budgie-remix-vs-solusos/
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

That article is a bit out of date, but the comparison is very useful. The big picture I took away is that Solus is much faster than Ubuntu Budgie, and that's a big deal on older software. But on the other side is the big difference in package availability. Although Solus provides most of what the average user needs, I have some math-stat oddities I use that wouldn't install on Solus when I last tried it. I understand that the Solus dev team will package up some requested apps, but I never asked them to because I was only trying Solus as a distrohopper.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13