• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Running a Virtual Linux Machine. Which is best, Hyper-v, or VMware? And Easiest.

Started by buster, August 19, 2024, 03:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

"To over simplify, Hyper-v turns the host AND The guest os(es) into virtual machines, The host os is a virtualized......"

My brain hurts.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

William

Quote from: buster on September 21, 2024, 06:01:09 PM"To over simplify, Hyper-v turns the host AND The guest os(es) into virtual machines, The host os is a virtualized......"

My brain hurts.
My brain hurts, too, because I didn't know that.  I used VirtualBox, VMware, and Hyper-V at work, and I've settled on Hyper-V.  It crashes the least.  From memory,
  • Hyper-V allows you to access network only.  So, it crashes less.
  • VMware allows you to access network, usb, file share.  So, it crashes more.
  • VirtualBox allows you to access network, usb, com, file share.  So, it crashes most.

buster

" I used VirtualBox, VMware, and Hyper-V at work, and I've settled on Hyper-V.  It crashes the least."

My using of a virtual Linux is mild I'm sure compared to what you are doing William. I'm happy if I can communicate between host and virtual and transfer data. However, in all the years I've done this, none of them have ever crashed. I am using the older VMWare. Will have to try the newest free release, which is apparently a full commercial clone.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I can't remember Virtualbox or VMware Workstation crashing on me, either. Have you tried it on other hardware, William?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13