• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

"Clean install" of Mint 22

Started by fox, September 13, 2024, 07:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

As noted in a previous thread, I am unable to upgrade my Mint 21.3 installation to Mint 22 because after I do it, my internet stops working. (I don't know why, because when booting up with a Mint 22 USB drive, the interet works fine.) I know I can keep 21.3 for quite awhile, but I'm wondering if there isn't an easy way to just install a new Mint 22 and then graft my home file onto it so that I have all of my apps and settings working as they are on 21.3. Note that my Home folder in Mint 21.3 is not on a separate partition.
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

If you're looking to install Linux Mint over itself while retaining /home, you're out of luck. You can't do this in the install AFAIK. A fresh install is going to overwrite the entire partition including/home.

Do you have a backup of your home files? Just do a fresh install and make a separate /home this time around and restore the backup.

Or you could make a separate partition, copy the files over to it and then during the install, call it /mnt/storage. Once you've finished the installation, you can copy the files over from that partition to /home/username. It's more work than restoring from a backup but probably faster since it's all on the same drive.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

" A fresh install is going to overwrite the entire partition including/home."

Pretty sure this isn't totally true. If /home is a separate partition, and you use exactly the same partitions, you can save some stuff by not formatting this partition. Only allow / and swap to be formatted. Did this a few times with Mint.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Home is not in a separate partition.
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"Home is not in a separate partition."

Ah well.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on September 15, 2024, 07:56:22 AM" A fresh install is going to overwrite the entire partition including/home."

Pretty sure this isn't totally true. If /home is a separate partition, and you use exactly the same partitions, you can save some stuff by not formatting this partition. Only allow / and swap to be formatted. Did this a few times with Mint.

I said "partition" not "partitions". Note the singular use. Since I said the single partition "including /home" then I'm saying it will wipe it out if /home is on there. That's entirely true. Had I said the plural version, you would have been right to correct me. :) And Fox also noted /home wasn't on a separate partition in his first post.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13