• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Latest Linux Mint Upgrade to 22 a Pleasure Though Long Procedure

Started by buster, August 17, 2024, 07:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

This was done on a virtual OS. Marilyn's desktop next. (Anyone who is married will understand this precaution.) The fact that the operation had limited resources may account for it's slowness, but in a few days, when bringing hers up to date, I'll see whether the speed is different. I think I started here and the upgrade itself gave me the rest of the steps from then on.

https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade-to-mint-22.html

The process is wonderfully done. Have something else to do though. It did seem long.

Jesse on Distrowatch gave Linux Mint 22 a perfect score. Never seen that before.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20240805#mint

For me and my needs Mint is THE Linux desktop. And I've never had to reinstall In Marilyn's computer for ages. In fact her OS was cloned from the previous computer's Mint.

A meticulously crafted OS.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks Buster, for the notes on your install of the latest release on Mint.

I am still using version 20.3 which is supported until April 2025 and I would normally wait until the support ended, before upgrading.

Do you know if it might cause install issues, by upgrading from that old a version of Mint, to the latest version?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

There is always a chance that someone like Oscar will get into the process and wreak havoc. However two things.

1. All the releases have to be done in sequence. Any between must be done first.

2. Mint suggests using TimeShift will allow you to go back if update unsuccessful. From using software for years we both know this means "will probably allow".

ssfc72

Thanks Buster, for the info.

When I go to upgrade I will just image my Drive first, for a backup.

I seem to recall now, that the last time I did an upgrade of Mint (probably from 19.X to 20.1?) that the upgrade went ok.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: buster on August 19, 2024, 09:09:56 AM2. Mint suggests using TimeShift will allow you to go back if update unsuccessful. From using software for years we both know this means "will probably allow".

I've never had Timeshift fail for me. It does the same thing as cloning software but unlike cloning software, it keeps track of the changes and undoes them when you restore. So it's quicker.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I also did an upgrade to Mint 22, after first doing an upgrade from 21.2 to 21.3. This is on an external drive running on my 2019 iMac. The upgrade to 21.3 went without a hitch, but the subsequent upgrade to 22 left me without internet. I have a TP Powerline plug-in that connects that computer via ethernet. It works with Ubuntu and Mint up to 21.3, but wouldn't work after the upgrade to 22. I used Timeshift to go back to my earlier configuration and go through the upgrades again, but the result was the same - no internet. I'll probably try it once more, but I have wasted a lot of time on this and am not pleased at all. This is one of the reasons I stick to Ubuntu as my main operating system. I have done Ubuntu upgrades since Feisty Fawn (2007 I believe), and have never experienced a problem with one.
Ubuntu 24.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 24.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Hi Mike.  Perhaps if you had Ubuntu installed on the 2019 iMac, you would have had the same problem with your TP Powerline plug-in for internet connection, that you are now having with Mint install?

buster

" you would have had the same problem with your TP Powerline plug-in for internet connection "

Good point Bill. This very problem was discussed heatedly in the forums of Nipple Linux.

Jason

The problem could have been a driver supported only in an earlier kernel version. That's the kind of exotic hardware that Linux might not support natively. I'm not sure Windows would either. Is it possible you installed a separate driver for the powerline adapter, Mike?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I have Ubuntu (24.04) installed on this iMac. No problems with it. With regard to the TP Powerline, I don't have a specific driver for it. I used the term, plug-in to refer to how the Powerline works. You plug it into a wall socket. You can then plug an ethernet cable into the Powerline and into the computer, and the computer sees it as an ethernet connection. According to a Digital Trends article, "Powerline networking is a technology that sits between wired and wireless. Rather than shoot network data into the air or through cables draped along baseboards, it uses the existing electrical wiring in a home or office. It also supports the longest distance of the three, though performance heavily depends on the overall electrical wiring and devices pulling power." The reason I use it is that Ubuntu (or any Linux I have tried) doesn't detect the internal wifi of this particular Mac and I have not been able to find a driver for it. But the Powerline works perfectly, at least with Ubuntu and any Mint version I have tried up until the Mint 22 upgrade. By the way, Powerline does work with the Mint 22 install USB drive, so the problem must be related to the upgrade itself.

fox

I should add that ethernet is recognized by the Network Manager and I can even ping it. But it won't connect to the internet. So what I did tonight is to restore the Timeshift version right after I upgraded to 21.3, and all works as it should. Except that when I went to install some updates, it wouldn't install them because there was a problem with the Python 3 post-install program that must have been upgraded when I went from 21.2 to 21.3. Once I fixed that, I could do those upgrades. I'm now thinking that this caused the problem when I went to upgrade again. So I will try to upgrade once more to version 22, but not until next week when I have the time.

fox

Well I tried again and the result is the same: network connected but no internet. I looked at the settings, and they're the same as Ubuntu's and even those of Mint 21.3. Go figure. I guess that the only way to get Mint 22 is to start from scratch. I'm not willing to do that, at least not right now since I don't use it regularly and 21.2 works. But I'm disappointed. This affirms the decision I made years ago to stick with Ubuntu.

Jason

Quote from: fox on September 12, 2024, 11:56:53 AMWell I tried again and the result is the same: network connected but no internet. I looked at the settings, and they're the same as Ubuntu's and even those of Mint 21.3. Go figure.

Thanks for reporting on these issues. Even if we're not experiencing them, it's good to give other people a heads up before they try.

What I find odd is that I thought Mint *was* Ubuntu underneath. Just with some extra apps and some alternative desktops.

I normally don't do upgrades. I'm like that guy on Ally McBeal with the remote toilet flusher who explains by saying, "I like a fresh bowl." I like a fresh install.

One question: Are you using a VPN by any chance? If you have a kill switch set, it could interfere.

fox

I have a VPN but was not using it in Mint.

FYI, when I do a new install of Mint 22, the internet works.

Jason

Quote from: fox on September 12, 2024, 07:04:06 PMFYI, when I do a new install of Mint 22, the internet works.

If you've already done that, wouldn't you restore your home files from your backup? Or is your backup of the entire drive?