• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The Really Unpleasant Computer Problem viewed by flood

Started by buster, March 14, 2024, 10:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

For some reason, the Unpleasant Computer has been getting visits at an accelerated rate. Suspect a link to a busier site. Presently 300 or more a day. The next of my stories listed will get a grand total of about 10 during  the same day.

However, if you check Forum Stats, you will see that this story has broken into the top 10 of our 1,701 topics, most of those views occurring in the last month or two. And that means it is ahead of 1,691 other topics.

So a 'story' on a tech site turns out to be one of the most heavily viewed. Never thought I'd see the day. Sort of humourous.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

buster

Fame is fleeting. How soon they forget. The story had 400 views yesterday, and has under 10 so far today. But undaunted it struggles on. and maybe will get to position 9 on the view hit parade. Only...

News flash. The story has moved up to position 9! Still hundreds behind topic 8.

buster

The Really Unpleasant Computer Problem must be linked to some busy sites somewhere.

Started gathering views in February after sitting for two years as the least visited computer story. Then it started moving up until it it reached number 10 on the most viewed topics on our site of about 1,700 topics. Yesterday, I think, it reached number 9, and today it reached number 8.

Quite a mystery, but maybe readers are enjoying it. It had, by the way, some of the best and funniest comments by our club readers between the chapters.

buster

Why this particular story should become so popular suddenly is still somewhat of a mystery. It's the fastest climbing topic in terms of views on our site and has moved from moderate interest to over 27,000 views. I may have found the reason.

If you type 'unpleasant computer problem' into Google, you can scroll til your finger aches, but you'll find no reference to the story on our website.

If you type the same words into Bing, the story shows up after quite a short page one, at the top of page two.

Not very flattering, but maybe some of the people who click onto the story hang around to read it.