• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Total solar eclipse, April 8, Cobourg, ON

Started by ssfc72, February 28, 2024, 04:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse-simulator/2024/index.html?city_id=868

This is a good Link to an interactive map of the solar eclipse on April 8.Cobourg is south enough to just be able to see the the eclipse as a Total eclipse.Start time around 2 p . Finish around 3:30 pm
Clear skies. :-)

Edit -  There will also be a comet in the sky, during the time of the Total solar eclipse. It will not be bright enough to see by looking for it, during the eclipse, but with a camera taking a wide angle picture of the eclipse, it should show up on the captured image. The comet will be near Jupiter.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I was going to ask you if you had any plans to go to Cobourg to see it, Bill. I bought some eclipse glasses. I plan to go even if it's by my lonesome. None of this partial eclipse here,Cobourg is too close to miss out on a total eclipse.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I will be going to the Cobourg beach. That is where I went for the last total solar eclipse back in the 1980's.

However, knowing our cloudy/rainy weather that we have in our area, I sort of expect the day of the eclipse will probably be socked in with clouds/rain. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

I hope the weather is good but you're likely right. No road-trips to Texas, then? ;)

If you do go down, maybe I can get a ride with you? We could work out the details over email. I can throw in for gas.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

William

Hi,
This Cobourg is next to Port Hope, right?
Can I join you guys?
I'll bring my welder goggles.

ssfc72

Hi William. Yes, Cobourg is just a few kilometers East of Port Hope.

With the cloudy/rainy weather we have in April, in Ontario, I won't be surprise if the clouds/rain prevent the viewing of the eclipse.
I will send you an email the day before the Total eclipse, if the weather is likely to be ok, for the viewing of the eclipse.

clear skies :-)

ssfc72

Hi Jason, I may be taking my motorcycle to Cobourg, to view the eclipse.  There may be a lot of vehicle traffic in Cobourg on the day of the eclipse and the motorcycle would be easier to find a parking space. :-)

If I do take my car I will email you the day before, to let you know that I could give you a ride to view the ecplise.

In Peterborough, the solar eclipse will be very close to a Total ecplise. There will be just a very, very thin slice of the sun visible, at totality, 3.22 pm.

Quote from: Jason on March 03, 2024, 10:11:01 AMI hope the weather is good but you're likely right. No road-trips to Texas, then? ;)

If you do go down, maybe I can get a ride with you? We could work out the details over email. I can throw in for gas.

Jason

I'd be willing to join you on your motorcycle if you chose to take it and have a spare helmet. I just wouldn't tell my wife. :D Hopefully, it's not too cool that day.

buster

William wrote:

"Can I join you guys?
I'll bring my welder goggles."

I've read that Niagara Falls has a total as well. (Check first.) If you drive yourself, would that be easier? 404, 401, 403, QR I think. Something like that.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

William

Yes, I can go to any parking lot along the Lake Erie shoreline.  We'll see, weather being the deciding factor.

buster

"With the cloudy/rainy weather we have in April, in Ontario, I won't be surprised if the clouds/rain prevent the viewing of the eclipse."

Part of the magic of a total eclipse is the fact that it gets night time dark. Streetlights may even come on. This would happen no matter the weather.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

The Planetary Society, which I like to mention every time I can, had some information and other links about the upcoming eclipse here:

https://www.planetary.org/eclipse

You can get a pair of deluxe special edition pair of glasses from them although they're a bit expensive. But it helps the non-profit and they're cool. Being a poor man, I had to get a pair from Temu.

Hoping for clear skies.

ssfc72

Be careful with those solar viewers from Temu, Jason. Anything from Temu is highly suspect as being poor quality or fake.

For safe viewing of the eclipse, so you don't damage your eyesight, those cardboard solar glasses should should have an approved ISO number, which verifies they are safe to use, to view the sun.

It has been found that there a lot of those cheap cardboard solar viewers that have bogus/fake ISO numbers printed on them.

The AAS Solar Eclipse Task Force, has a list of verified suppliers of solar viewers, where the safe and genuine viewers can be purchased.

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/viewers-filters

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on March 26, 2024, 04:01:53 AMBe careful with those solar viewers from Temu, Jason. Anything from Temu is highly suspect as being poor quality or fake.

Thanks, Bill. The Planetary Society website also has the same suggestions and an approved list of sellers.  One of the tips to check for safety is to wear them on a sunny day and note if you see anything. Looking through them is impossible. Looks completely reflective on the outside, black as space from the inside. But thanks for the warning.

Jason

Just to be safe, I ordered a cheap pair of Eclipse glasses from PPE Supply. They're a Canadian company and were on the list of approved dealers. While Temu's products are generally good, I should be more careful. I wouldn't rely on dollar store medical masks so I shouldn't trust anything health-related from them, either. Thanks for reminding me of this, Bill.

The cost was $16 for a pair of cardboard glasses and shipping was $10 for Expedited Parcel. They also sell masks so I grabbed some while I was there. They have Canadian and imported varieties of masks and are fully certified by Health Canada to ensure those imported also meet the standards.