• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

WattOS Distro, lightweight, good for older computers

Started by ssfc72, January 01, 2024, 03:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=12026

I saw this latest Release of the Distro, WattOS, based on the recent Debian Distro.
According to the description, this may be a good choice for anyone using an older computer, due to it's lightweight build and requirements.
The desktop screen shot looks nice.
I may check it out since I have some older small notebook computers that it might work well on.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Happy New Year, Bill, and everyone!

When you mentioned the name, I remembered it. Not much more than the name but I recalled that! :D I think I may have installed it on my venerable Eee PC. Remember those? There weren't many distros it could handle, not must because it had to be lightweight but also because it only have 4 GB of space on the drive.

Interesting that it uses the Calamares installer. I wonder if that's standard for Debian-based distros. I noticed some Ubuntu-based distos are moving to it. It's the default installer for Arch-based distros from the start. In any case, it looks like an attractive desktop. LDXE is pretty minimalist but it looks better than vanilla Xfce.

Btw, been playing with Zorin. I'll have more to say about this experience another day.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I did try WattOS many years ago. Pretty basic, but good. Its original premise was energy saving; I don't know if this is still the case.

I'll be interested in your review of Zorin, Jason. I have tried it before and I like it, but I don't like the idea of using an OS named after its maker.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 09, 2024, 07:19:16 AMI'll be interested in your review of Zorin, Jason. I have tried it before and I like it, but I don't like the idea of using an OS named after its maker.

I didn't know that Zorin was named after its maker. Interesting. I guess you don't like Debian, then. :) But that's okay, I don't think anybody here uses Debian, just its derivatives which aren't entirely compatible. Ubuntu packages have to be massaged before being added. I just realized; Ubuntu to Linux is like Chromium to browsers.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Debian isn't exactly named after its maker. It's a contraction of the first names of its late maker (Ian) and his wife (Debbie). Zorin is the exact last name of its maker. I wouldn't hesitate to use Debian because of its name.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I think you're quibbling a bit there. The maker's name is still in it; it's just a first name, combined with another first name.

I don't care about the name. There are many good universities and colleges named after their founders. If I did have a preference, it'd be for a Linux distro to have Linux in its name. Debian and Zorin, and most distros, don't, which is sad. Most people using a Linux distro are aware it's Linux but for some people, Debian is Linux, to use but one example. Incidentally, Debian used to be known as Debian GNU/Linux. The poor GNU folks get even less credit nowadays.