• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Boot Raspberry pi 3 from a usb drive

Started by fox, March 03, 2017, 07:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

This article in maketecheasier provides a nice set of instructions for how to boot up the Rpi 3 from an external drive. It assumes that you are using Pixel. It is very easy to follow, and is easily adaptable to other Rpi distros. It involves copying over your file to the usb drive you want to use and then making minor changes to two config files. The config changes are the same ones I made on Berryboot to get my pi to boot from a usb pendrive.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Mike, does instatlling Raspberry to a usb drive (even a thumb drive) speed up the operation of the OS or just the boot process?

I wonder because once the OS gets loaded into the Raspberry memory, then maybe the usb drive is not used that much, to speed things up?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

My experience is that putting the system on a usb drive markedly increases responsiveness. This probably wouldn't be as noticeable on a straight media server distro like LibreELEC, but definitely on Debian Pixel and Ubuntu Mate. First of all, applications are present wherever the OS is. So if you click on an application, even the one that opens files, it has to read the content and load it before it's even in RAM. And every usb device I tried read at 2-3x the speed of the SD card. Also, the pi has only 1 gb RAM and 1/4 to 1/3 of this is used by the OS. If you then open up a few applications, the content in RAM has to be exchanged with the drive where the information is stored, again affecting the responsiveness of the system. There are probably SD cards that can read and write at the same speed as a good usb pendrive or HD connected to a usb 2 port, but they would be expensive. Just wait until the pi contains usb 3 ports! One can already find them on a $30 (US) board, the just-announced nano pi m1 plus.

Jason

Quote from: fox on March 04, 2017, 08:20:33 AM
Just wait until the pi contains usb 3 ports! One can already find them on a $30 (US) board, the just-announced nano pi m1 plus.

It has a USB 3 port? I didn't see that in the specs for the NanoPi M1 Plus.

In any case, the 8 GB eMMC storage is an interesting feature.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Hmmn. You are right, Jason. Not sure now whether it was another single board computer or I just didn't have my glasses on when I read the nano pi text.  :P