• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Recent Covid and Flu shot side effects

Started by ssfc72, November 16, 2023, 06:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I got my Covid and Flu shot on Tuesday afternoon. The Covid shot was Moderna. The Flu shot was the Senior extra strong.

That evening at around 8 pm, I was in bed and got feeling extremely cold and was shaking badly all over.
I luckily had a heavy extra blanket to put on the bed and that soon warmed me up.
I woke up at around 1:30 am and was sweating very heavily. I went to go to the washroom but did not have the strength to stand up, so I think I mostly crawled to the washroom. I think I may have blacked out because I wound up with a big purple bruise on the underside of my one arm and a purple bruise on the back of my other hand.
When I got up the next morning I was feeling dragged out but was otherwise ok.

I think that will be the last time I get the Covid and Flu shot.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

JESUS BILL!!!

First comment: You told that story as a professional would. I was there as a captive reader as the story unfolded.

Second comment: There is a site on the Internet that people with adverse reactions to this covid shot can report what happened, and a report may help their research. It probably is the covid shot because Marilyn and I both had minor swelling and a touch of soreness, nothing that people raised in Hamilton, TiCat land, aren't tough enough to handle though.

This might work: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccine-safety/#howToReport

It was suggested that serious reactions should result in a 911 call. Which I suspect didn't occur to you.

Third comment: My reaction to a covid infection was minimal. I was told when I arrived at the hospital that I wouldn't be there long, mostly because of my history of shots and my vitals that the nurse took. My problem was pnemonia, which left me on the floor. Most people with covid at 83 are in serious trouble. So I'll continue my shots unless they interfere with my beer drinking.

Sorry to read about your reaction Bill. Hope you are pretty well through it.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks for the Link Harry. That web page says I should go to my Doctor and have them file a Report.
Luckily I do have a doctor, so I will drop in to the office tomorrow to see about getting a report filed.

I didn't have to call 911 and the next day I was tired and sleeping a bit to make up from the night before. Today I am fine.

The bruise on underside of my arm is still large and ugly and I am thinking it may have been caused by the Covid injection and not from blacking out.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

For what it's worth, the people I know who have had bad reactions to the Covid shot were all given Moderna. My Covid shot was Pfizer, and I had almost no side effects. I also chose not to get my flu shot at the same time. I got it two days later from my doctor, and had almost no side effects to it, either.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

William

I don't know why they allow Covid and Flu vaccines at the same time.  Anyways, I'm glad that you are recovering.  Your kind of reactions are pretty immediate and traceable.  That's good, in some ways.

My kind of reactions is slow and lasting.  I got 2 Pfizer, when Government made "Covid-19 proof of vaccination" mandatory about 2 years ago.  I usually have very active immune system (eg. seasonal allergies, chemical sensitivities, food reactions, etc).  The 2 Covid vaccines kicked my immune system into overdrive, and it's going crazy.  Severe and debilitating Eczema/Psoriasis.  Doctor wants to put me on immune suppressant, but I've been putting it off because of serious side-effects.  But, now, since my condition is not improving (I tried so many ways), I may consider it.

ssfc72

Hi William, good to hear from you.

Lots of seniors get both shots at the same time and don't have a problem. My brother and his wife did this also and didn't have a problem. Maybe they had the Pfizer brand of covid shot?

Most of my previous Covid shots were the Moderna brand and I had no problem at all.

Yes , with your medical sensitivities, it probably is best to be cautious like you are, about getting shots or other medication.

buster

" I usually have very active immune system (eg. seasonal allergies, chemical sensitivities, food reactions, etc)."

Sorry to read that William. That's life long and I'm sure as annoying as hell.

I seem to have a good immune system and would work for years without missing a day. But I never had to put up with your annoyances. I also had every shot I could ever get, without mishap, but that's partly because I was born in the thirties and we had far fewer vaccines for life threatening diseases. Play in Hamilton was almost shut down when I was very young because of a polio epidemic.. (This was not cleared up until Jonas Salk created a vaccine in 1953. In 1916, 2000 people died from polio in New York city alone. A woman lived near our first rental in Peterborough who was crippled as a child from this disease.)

It may be that living in a house that was not terribly clean, eating food off the floor, cutting the rotten parts off any food but still using it helped create an immune system that had seen and could react to anything. A life long active life may have helped too.

I wish you the best and hope the doctors can alleviate some of your symptoms.

(And Marilyn I had both shots at the same time. And we had the Moderna.)

Jason

Sorry to hear about your experience, Bill. I've had little reaction to flu shots but wasn't getting the extra-strength one either. Perhaps you might want to opt in for the lower dosage one. Or maybe just not have them both at the same time. Only your doctor can advise. On the plus side, such a strong reaction likely means you have built major protection from COVID or the flu or both! :)

It's interesting to hear about experiences with Moderna vs. Pfizer's shots. I've had 5 COVID shots and only one was Pfizer, the rest were Moderna. Every Moderna shot has resulted in major arm swelling and soreness for 3-4 days. The swelling was bad enough that I couldn't lift my arm more than a few inches. And it starts almost exactly 3 hours after I get the shot - every time. I don't look forward to it but it'd be a lot worse to get severe COVID so I'll keep getting them as long as they offer them. I'm getting the combined shots on Monday.

Sorry to hear about your experience as well, Wiliam. A hardy immune system can be good but not when it's overpowered like that! I'm curious, did you ever test positive for COVID-19? The reason I ask is that some COVID-19 infections have triggered psoriasis events in those who are prone to them and some who aren't, and many events happen months later. Long COVID can be insidious.

Harry: You and I have a different definition of 'minimal' apparently. :) Either way, things probably would have been a lot worse without your vaccinations but your good health probably helped a lot, too. I know you're quite active.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

It's a shame that vaccinations have become so politicized in many areas. They truly are one of the reigning achievements of the 20th century. As but one example, for tens of thousands of years, human beings were severely sickened, died or became permanently disfigured or disabled (usually blindness) because of smallpox. About a third that contracted it died, mostly children. In the 20th century alone, over 300 million people died of it. Because of vaccination, the last smallpox case occurred in 1977, the first human disease to have ever been eradicated, and one of only 2 infectious diseases.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Another good illustration of a lack of vaccination can be studied when the Europeans brought never before experienced diseases to the Americas.

"European contact enabled the transmission of diseases to previously isolated communities,  which caused devastation far exceeding that of even the Black Death in fourteenth-century Europe. Europeans brought deadly viruses and bacteria, such such as smallpox, measles, typhus, and cholera, for which Native Americans had no immunity."

We have 8 billion people on the planet partly because we can as a group fight off the ravages of disease with vaccination. Without this ability to handle bacteria as a group, many of us would have lost ancestors in our family tree and wouldn't exist today.

Jason

You can also see where Europeans visited North America and contracted diseases they had no immunity to like Malaria and Dengue.

With climate change and the expansion of human developments, we're coming into closer proximity with animals and rising temperatures are bringing disease-carrying insects further north, meaning lots of novel viruses to look forward to. I suspect that we will see another pandemic like COVID within the next 20 years and it'll likely be another coronavirus. But we'll probably develop vaccines for it, too. It's an arms race.

Jason

Quote from: buster on November 18, 2023, 09:33:36 PMWe have 8 billion people on the planet partly because we can as a group fight off the ravages of disease with vaccination. Without this ability to handle bacteria as a group, many of us would have lost ancestors in our family tree and wouldn't exist today.

Was that a typo? Bacteria?

buster

No. Not a typo. An omission. I should also have included 'and viruses'.

Some important bacterial vaccinations that are used include for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough, and Meningitis. I think we have a vaccine if needed for bubonic plague too.

Jason

I see. I think nowadays bubonic plague can be treated effectively with antibiotics. There have been some outbreaks in developing nations but it's rare in the developed world, AFAIK.

There's a pneumonia vaccine I've seen offered, too. I don't know if it's for bacterial or viral pneumonia.

A few years ago I received a tetanus shot. I believe it's bacterial. My doctor's nurse discovered that I hadn't ever received one. I believe you're supposed to have one every 10 years. I knew I hadn't had one in the last 10 years but I reasoned fallaciously that since I hadn't gotten it in 50 years of life, I didn't need it. Glad she prompted me. Lockjaw would suck.

Jason

Since we're talking about viruses and such, I shared a short video from YouTube about smallpox here:

https://plugintolinux.ca/forum/index.php/topic,1866.0.html