• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Brother in the hospital with serious COVID

Started by Jason, November 10, 2023, 02:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

My brother went into the hospital with pneumonia Tuesday night and tested positive for COVID. He wasn't put on a ventilator but they had to give him supplementary oxygen. He felt a little better as the evening went and they were able to cut back the oxygen and admitted him to a regular bed the next day.

Today (Thursday), he had a bad day and vomited a few times but by evening was resting comfortably. He's on antibiotics and an anti-viral for treating serious COVID.

The evening he went into the hospital, Fairhaven let me know what was going on and said they had various tests. including one for COVID and he wasn't positive. So I figured it was safe to visit. Shortly after I arrived, the hospital told me he had tested positive! With my wife being high-risk, I was caught in a tough spot. I decided to see him since I had my N95 and they had me wear a gown and face shield (with a built-in mask) and I had my N95 on. I tested myself yesterday and it was negative. But been keeping away from Nora as much as possible being her primary caregiver. Going to test again tomorrow.

I think I'd be okay if I got it (five shots so far with the sixth next week), though I'm concerned about long COVID, but I'm primarily worried about her. I'm also pretty proud of my NOVID membership card. I just paid my dues! Rob did have his primary series but that was a long time ago and he's prone to pneumonia. It might have saved his life though.

I asked about COVID at Fairhaven and the social worker there told me they had 24 residents in Rob's wing (out of 32) with respiratory illness, 17 of which have tested positive! Staff and volunteers have to wear masks but visitors aren't required (in all provincial LTCs), just *strongly recommended* which most people will interpret as "meh, it's fine". The risk index for Peterborough is high right now and masks are recommended indoors but I hardly see anyone wearing them.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

My brother, Rob, is recovering nicely although he probably won't be back at the LTC home for a few days, at least. The nurses are talking about recovery now instead of just him being 'stable'.

And I tested negative for the second time. So I retain my membership status. :) I probably won't be able to dodge it forever but I get my 6th shot on Monday. Everyone should be getting this shot as it's updated with a much more recent variant than the bivalent was (EB5, I think?). There are so many mutational changes in the recent variants that they're as different from the original Omicron as Omicron was from Delta.

Are you guys getting (or have gotten) the newest shot?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Good to hear your brother is getting better, Jason.  Thanks for letting us know about the Covid situation in Peterborough.

I am booked for this Tues. for the Covid and Flu shot.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Sorry to hear this Jason. Our covid was not really serious at all, though my pneumonia was.

My daughter working in Toronto says covid has become a serious problem again where she works, and they are back to working remotely. Science show on CBC also said long term covid makes up about 15% of the cases. Coburg has it in long term care facilities as well as Peterborough.

We had the latest shot on Thursday, as well as an extra strong flu shot designed for the ancient.

Covid may become a continuous problem forever because of, as you mention, the mutations.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I read a lot of the COVID stories online, and many studies, as much as I can understand them, and that 15% number is about what I keep seeing, too. I'm a bit obsessed with reading so much about it.

COVID is still new enough that they don't know how long COVID will last. Many seem to recover completely after six months, others mostly recover but have lingering effects and some still have their lives majorly disrupted - can't do their jobs any longer because of fatigue, brain fog, etc. People don't consider the risk of long COVID-19 in assessing their risk level. Even if they've had it and didn't get long COVID, some are getting it after another infection or get it again. One of the reasons I try to avoid getting infected is that I have many of the symptoms associated with long-term COVID-19 because of mental illness. At times, I can barely keep my head above water. I can't risk having my conditions exacerbated as I assume they would be if I got it.

Interestingly, your daughter mentioned going back to working remotely. I haven't heard a lot about that. Even companies that can easily accommodate remote work have been forcing their employees back into the office (Facebook, Google, and so on). Every company should at least allow the option of working remotely where possible. Some people might still choose to want to work at the office but many of us are quite happy without the constant human-to-human interaction and get a lot more done. And if you're only mildly ill with COVID, at least at home you'd be able to get some work done, instead of losing days off work.

What does your daughter do?

William

Jason

Quote from: William on November 17, 2023, 01:23:49 AMLate comer here... What is "NOVID" ?

It's a colloquial reference to those people who have never been infected with COVID. So many have been infected, possibly over 90% now in Canada alone, that we're standing out. Some NOVIDs have been in close extended contact with those infected without PPE or vaccinations and have not gotten sick. I don't think I'm that lucky. I'm just very careful and not very social. :)

Jason

My brother, Rob, passed away last Wednesday (Nov. 29th) due to complications from COVID. He had pneumonia and after two courses of antibiotics was still having breathing issues. He didn't want to be on a ventilator so they sedated him and he passed away likely (hopefully) oblivious to it all. He passed while I was talking to his doctor and about to go to visit him. He's had such a rough life, a major accident about 10 years ago, a dog attack and dementia. It's so sad. I'm arranging his cremation and perhaps a celebration of life in a few weeks.

ssfc72

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, Jason. My condolences to you and your family.
Yes, 10 years of needing care would be quite hard to handle.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

fox

I was away and missed this. I am sorry for your loss, Jason.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

BrianP

I have not been on the forums in a while,  sorry for your loss

Jason

buster

"I have not been on the forums in a while'

Brian, you haven't had anything unpleasant going on in your life have you?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.