• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

How to install free Google fonts on Linux (ZDnet)

Started by Jason, August 24, 2023, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I tried out the steps in this article to install a font for LibreOffice and it works. I also looked int the font settings for Plasma and the fonts are available there, too.

I'm using Plasma with openSUSE Tumbleweed but it should work with any Linux distro. If you try it and it works, let us know what you are using just to confirm.

Note that there is a typo in the article on Step 2. They incorrectly give the directory of /user/share/fonts/googlefonts which should be /usr/share/fonts/googlefonts. So the correct line, for the copy-paste smarties among you, should read:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/fonts/googlefonts

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-free-google-fonts-on-linux-and-why-you-should/
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Any particular Google fonts that you recommend?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on August 29, 2023, 01:06:59 PMAny particular Google fonts that you recommend?

This will be a boring answer but I only briefly scrolled the list for something I could use to test the instructions. I settled on 'Handjet'. It reminds me of the look of the output on the dot matrix I had with my first PC back in the late 80s. But I'm not really sure where I'd use it.

The handwriting ones tend to catch my eye. However, I don't know where I'd use them unless I was hosting a dinner party.

I'm terrible at choosing fonts. I could spend hours just looking at them. Every font has a feel to it, it guides you in how to interpret the message. But it's hard for me to choose the font that feels right for me although I can often rule out ones that don't. If you're just looking for fonts to give your desktop (i.e. not documents) a different look, just pick anything that fancies you and see how it looks. If it's a document font, that depends on the audience. There's a whole science and art behind typography.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Thanks Jason for your post about Linux Fonts and the Link to the article.

I read the article and have book marked the instructions for perhaps, future use.
I never bother much with using different fonts but the instructions are good to know, in case I need some unique type of font.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Helvitica and Italics walk into a bar and order a drink.

The bartender said, "Sorry, but we don't serve your type in here!"
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: buster on August 30, 2023, 09:41:42 AMHelvitica and Italics walk into a bar and order a drink.

The bartender said, "Sorry, but we don't serve your type in here!"

Flattery will get you nowhere but a Star Wars reference will get you a second date.  ;)