• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MX LINUX gets the most positive review I've ever seen on Distrowatch

Started by buster, August 13, 2023, 11:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

This operating system had part of its origins way back with Mepis, and that's what our house used back then. MX Linux still stands out, the way Mepis did, as a complete desktop that just works. And it is still getting the top billing on hits per month on Distrowatch. The review shows the shortcomings we experience with many other distros. Well worth the read.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230814#mx

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks Buster, for the Link.
I have Mint on one notebook computer and MXLinux on another notebook computer

The Mint Distro works very well.
The MXLinux with the Xfce desktop has a continuous problem with the System Updates.
The icon for system updates, that is found on the left of the screen, continually does not show a green colour, when there are Updates available.
I have to continually right click on the System updates icon and from the menu presented, select "check for updates".
It then finds Updates and the icon turns green in colour. Then I can click on the Update icon and MXLinux will perform the Updates.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"I have to continually right click on the System updates icon and from the menu presented, select "check for updates"."

You could pretend that's what it's supposed to do and be satisfied. (Grin) Otherwise do you like it? And what does 'continually' mean?

ssfc72

Quote from: buster on August 16, 2023, 09:02:00 AMAnd what does 'continually' mean?

Continually, means that the malfunctioning Update of the MXLinux system is a recurring problem.

Yes, MXLinux Lxde version, is a nice snappy operating Distro.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

The system Jesse tested was xfce I think.

What I meant by 'continually' is this. Do you have to keep clicking the icon or does it open with one click? If so, it doesn't seem like much of an inconvenience, and it may be the DE rather than MX Linux.

So Harry's family while growing up would say "Good enough".

Jason

Bill, do you know how often it checks for updates? I'm wondering if perhaps it's set to check once a week, for example, and you're expecting it to go red before it has checked for updates. Sometimes, it's set to check security updates on one schedule and other updates on another. If you need help locating this information (the frequency for when updates are checked), open a topic in Support or message me.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I don't use the MXLinux notebook computer on a daily basis, so it can a few days or more, before I turn it on.
The MXLinux icon used to stay gray until there were updates available and then the update icon would change colour to green.
Now the icon stays gray and when I right click on the icon and select check updates, the icon changes colour to green. Depending on the last time the computer was used, there can be a large number of updates, available, to install.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on August 18, 2023, 05:58:15 AMI don't use the MXLinux notebook computer on a daily basis, so it can a few days or more, before I turn it on.
The MXLinux icon used to stay gray until there were updates available and then the update icon would change colour to green.
Now the icon stays gray and when I right click on the icon and select check updates, the icon changes colour to green. Depending on the last time the computer was used, there can be a large number of updates, available, to install.

That's odd that the behaviour has changed.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"That's odd that the behaviour has changed."

Maybe the lxde isn't being maintained as well. Apparently the xfce is the primary desktop.

buster

Is it something I wrote that offended everyone? Or are the Microsoft police rounding up all the Linux users?

ssfc72

Good one! :-)

Other than the flood in the house from a broken toilet water supply hose and both my 10 yr old upright freezer and also my 10 yr old refrigerator breaking down, I have been out enjoying the summer weather. :-)

Jason

Quote from: buster on August 24, 2023, 12:53:40 PMIs it something I wrote that offended everyone? Or are the Microsoft police rounding up all the Linux users?

Nope, didn't know you were expecting a response. I clicked 'Like' on your post. Microsoft has given up the fight with Linux. You can install a Linux distribution inside Windows using their own tools and their powershell supports Linux command-line tools. They also contribute to the Linux kernel and I think Fox noted a while back that they have a version of MS Edge for Linux. We won. :)

buster

I was commenting in that post with an attempt to point out that there were no posts anywhere on the site from the 18th until today. The thread was indeed done, I agree. But the 5 days of nothingness was disconcerting.

That's 5 days of nothing.

That's my point.

Jason

Quote from: buster on August 24, 2023, 07:36:39 PMI was commenting in that post with an attempt to point out that there were no posts anywhere on the site from the 18th until today. The thread was indeed done, I agree. But the 5 days of nothingness was disconcerting.

That's 5 days of nothing.

That's my point.

Gotcha. I hadn't been checking the Forum every day so hadn't really noticed how long it was. As you no doubt noticed, I made a flurry of new topics yesterday. With luck, that will trigger some new activity.

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on August 24, 2023, 03:23:17 PMOther than the flood in the house from a broken toilet water supply hose and both my 10 yr old upright freezer and also my 10 yr old refrigerator breaking down, I have been out enjoying the summer weather. :-)

Were they purchased at the same time? Funny that. Floods aren't nice. We had many of them when we first moved to our apartment and over the years with heavy rainfalls. Basement living. Been on lots of motorcycle rides?