• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PLUG Blog back up

Started by Jason, July 31, 2023, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

The main page of the PLUG website is back up at (https://plugintolinux.ca). I don't think most members even knew we had a main page but it might help outsiders to find us on the interwebs.

I have one article up there (what is Linux?) and a link to the forum. I hope, which reigns eternal, that I will get other articles up there. If anyone has anything they'd like to submit, that'd be awesome.

I will comb the Forum for anything interesting, but if it's not from me, it might not be enough to make an article. Then I'll tap on your shoulder to get you to add to it. :)

I might add a page with links to interesting topics (threads) as well. If you see anything you like, this is a good time to click 'like' on it. See what I did there?

Also, maybe give me some ideas of what to put on our website - listing distros with brief synopses, terminal tips, what would you like to see? Think about what you know now but didn't know then that could help the new users. Or just message me with interesting links to Linux tutorials. I want to make this website more useful beyond the Forum.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Listing distros with brief synopses is a good idea; at least listing the main ones. As is listing links to good Linux tutorials (focused on installation at least). At some point I would be willing to write an article on installing Linux on a Mac, based on my experience.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on August 01, 2023, 07:03:05 AMListing distros with brief synopses is a good idea; at least listing the main ones. As is listing links to good Linux tutorials (focused on installation at least). At some point I would be willing to write an article on installing Linux on a Mac, based on my experience.

Thanks for your input, Fox. What would you say are the main ones? My list would include Ubuntu, Linux Mint (Cinnamon), OpenSUSE, Fedora, Debian, and Arch Linux, maybe Slackware (that's for William :) ). Have I missed anything? I know that some Arch derivatives might be more popular than Arch like Majaro.

I would love an article on installing Linux on a Mac. It could be a draw for the website.

Also thinking of elevating at least one of Buster's articles to the blog, too.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Does anybody see the value in covering Linux news? Probably just short updates with links to full articles.

ssfc72

Maybe Links to articles about how to do functional things, using Linux?

My post about how to capture the audio output from the computer speaker ( like a radio show such as the CBC, Q with Tom Power) and saving it as an MP3 file, for later listening, might be of interest?

or using Audacity to convert audio file formats
or  using DevedeNG to work on video file formats
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: Jason on August 01, 2023, 06:17:34 PMDoes anybody see the value in covering Linux news? Probably just short updates with links to full articles.
There are already sites which do that. I think it's valuable, but maybe as links to those sites (like LXer, 9to5Linux).

fox

Quote from: Jason on August 01, 2023, 06:16:55 PMThanks for your input, Fox. What would you say are the main ones? My list would include Ubuntu, Linux Mint (Cinnamon), OpenSUSE, Fedora, Debian, and Arch Linux, maybe Slackware (that's for William :) ). Have I missed anything? I know that some Arch derivatives might be more popular than Arch like Majaro.

I would definitely add Manjaro to that list; also MX Linux. Maybe a Red Hat Linux derivative, although those don't generally appeal to home users.

buster

Maybe add Linux Lite. Useful and easy for old equipment. Getting hits on Distrowatch. Used it for a few years on an old Win 7 laptop. Not hugely popular but has a niche and a following.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

There are all good ideas, guys. I'll see what I can come up with to start with. I'll go with a list of popular Linux distros with a paragraph on each. I think we had that on the old webpages. I tried backing it up but wasn't able to do the restore. Probably was a way, I just didn't want to spend any time on it for a couple of pages.

For those that use a popular distro, would you be willing to write just a paragraph about the one you use the most? For example:

Ubuntu - Fox
Mike - Linux Mint
Buster - Kubuntu?

I'll even let you cheat and use ChatGPT. :D You can post it here or message me. If you can't, I'll come up with something. I just figure it'd be good to have a lover of the distro describe it. I'll do the others.

Linux Lite is definitely a good one to add and MX Linux too, since it seems to be popular on Distrowatch. I've tried it, too, and quite liked it along with Linux Lite.