• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Three search engines that don’t track you (Vivaldi browser team)

Started by Jason, August 10, 2022, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

The creators of the Vivaldi browser suggest 3 privacy-oriented browsers. I use Ecosia all the time. It gets its search results from Bing but is anonymized. And it plants trees to fight climate change so everyone should use it, especially Fox. :) I don't always use Ecosia as certain searches require Google but Ecosia has an two-click dropdown to use another browser if the results aren't satisfactory.

https://vivaldi.com/blog/search-engines-that-dont-track/

Does anyone use one of these search engines or any search engine besides Google partly or most of the time? Which one(s) do you use?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I use the Startpage search engine.  It uses the Google search engine but is suppose to anonymize your searches.

Startpage also has a feature called Anonymous View, which provides even more privacy when you go to a website listed in the search results. In the serach results listing, there is a small icon, to the left of the listing. You click on that icon and it takes you to the website anonymously.
https://www.startpage.com/en/anonymous-view/
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

That's cool. I remember that somebody else in the LUG uses Startpage, too. I checked using Privacy Badger and it doesn't appear to have any trackers. Nice.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13