• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Techradar: 10 of the best lightweight Linux distros

Started by Jason, February 08, 2017, 10:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

There was even one in here that I hadn't heard of, Porteus. This is more of a slideshow than an article but it has a short bit of info on each distro.

http://www.techradar.com/news/10-of-the-best-lightweight-linux-distros
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Great article, Jason! I'm always on the lookout for lightweight distros I can use on older castoff computers that newer OS versions and bloaated upgrades don't work so well on. I can attest to Linux Lite, though it has an annoying problem with Adobe Flash Player validation - in Firefox, anyway... And I'm wondering why elementaryOS didn't make the grade, another I like; maybe it's not so lightweight, but being based on Enlightenment 17, it's pretty peppy on the systems I've tried it on.

Jason

Yeah, I was thinking about elementary, too. I'd put it in the lightweight category. If it wasn't for notifications not showing Private Internet Access icon I'd still be using it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13