• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

For sale, 500 gb Seagate laptop drive, $25

Started by fox, January 26, 2017, 02:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

500 gb Seagate momentus 5400.6 2.5" internal drive. Lightly used, only for occasional backup. Excellent condition. I'm selling because I want to replace it with a larger, faster backup drive. Local sale only.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

I have a 17"x13"x3" Cogeco PVR I could trade for it. (I purchased it when I bought the TV - about $300 or so at the time.) I would even buy you a draft to cement the deal.  :)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Yes, SATA. (Too bad for Bob, who is looking for an IDE.) Harry, we only have limited space in the cabinet. Ironically, I just looked up a Cogeco pvr on the internet, and it apparently has a 1TB drive in it!  ;D
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"Too bad for Bob, who is looking for an IDE."

Get in touch Bob.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

bobf

Yeah, I *kinda* did, Harry. I got your message in my e-mail, and replied that way, only to have Jason tell me last night at the MUG that it somehow went to him instead (sorry about that, bud!) I COMPLETELY missed the redirect to the forums, COMPLETELY missed the login button <doh!>

Gimme a sec, I'll copy them out of my e-mail:

---
Re: New Personal Message: hard drive
Bob
Sat 01-28, 1:34 AM
PLUG Forums (prez@plugintolinux.ca)...

Hey, g'day! Thanks, Harry! It'd need to be at least 80GB, no bigger than 120GB (the BIOS doesn't support more than 128GB). However, I don't think it's going to matter. I checked the laptop, and it occurred to me I should ensure the CPU fan was spinning; it wasn't. That would DEFINITELY explain the heat issues. So... I'm trying to come to terms with the notion that I'm not going to fix this one. It needs:

Primary battery: $50.
CMOS battery: $9.
CPU fan assembly: $15.
CPU spacer (optional): $16.

I'd actually be inclined to buy TWO primary batteries, 'cuz I can drop out the DVD burner and populate the bay with the second battery, giving me ~6 hours of run time. On an old P4-1.8GHz single-core system, fully populated with 1GB RAM, and only 1 USB 1.1 port (I have a PCMCIA card that does USB 2.0 & Firewire - 400, I believe...) AND before I find anything else not up to scratch on it...

Built the 7th March 2003... I was planning to use it as a PC-based oscilloscope, but that would involve WinXP 'cuz the Linux one (xoscope) had nothing to offer me whatsoever functionally. I don't know what its shortcomings were, but it gave me nothing usable, as opposed to a Win2K implementation that would need to be moved up to XP... It worked, at least.

It owes me nothing, and I'm considering putting it on eBay for the next one needing parts. It's a full laptop, all the goodies, the hi-res screen (1400x1050) in a Dell factory bag, *with* the docking station... They should *still* build 'em that well.

I may still take you up on your offer, but it's the ol' beater, or a Raspberry Pi v3 model B plus the fixin's... Pretty cut & dried.

Thanks again,
Bob. <^8#
---
Bob Foley
ptbo_bob@hotmail.com
Peterborough, Ontario CANADA
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hiker's Credo: Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Sent: January 27, 2017 7:52 AM
To: ptbo_bob@hotmail.com
Subject: New Personal Message: hard drive

You have just been sent a personal message by buster on PLUG Forums.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:

How big an IDE hard drive do you need? I might have one I can give you.

Reply to this personal message here: http://forums.plugintolinux.ca/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;f=inbox;pmsg=20;quote;u=8
Login
forums.plugintolinux.ca
Login

Jason

I found an old IDE drive, Bob but it's too small (only 40 GB) and I have no idea if it works. You're welcome to try it for free. I can bring it to the monthly meeting if you want. I don't have anything here to test it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Sure, bring it along, thanks! The 120GB I reconditioned *seems* to work OK now, but if it's been cooking for awhile now, it's undoubtedly the worse for wear. And I've been testing it in a tower using a notebook-to-desktop IDE drive adapter. I ***may*** put it under the bench for awhile and maybe resurrect it downstream. There's just SO little any more, Linux included, that'll run on it. Now, I guess I should preface that with, "while it's overheating and throttling itself down in a desperate act of self-preservation!", of course...

bobf

And I should've mentioned, I may just take that off your hands, Mike... I'll keep you posted (but if someone else shows you good Canadian dinero, TAKE IT AND RUN! <^8#)