• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Zoom from us and from someone else in the universe

Started by buster, August 29, 2020, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

PLUG ran one virtual meeting that probably started from a Linux machine. I put Zoom on my Mint  and it worked nicely. At least I think that is how it went.

Today there was a virtual memorial for a friend, and people were joining in from all over. Except my Linux machine, same one I had used for our meeting, didn't work. I needed a Zoom upgrade!

So it guided me nicely through the upgrade to the latest software, and gave me the latest Linux Mint Zoom software, and it was easy and perfect except that the Linux upgrade didn't take.

Running upstairs to Marilyn's Win10 gave us an immediate connection, but not the comfort of a reclining couch and a 48" screen.

This is absolutely no criticism of Linux, more of Zoom for not providing a flatpak or whatever they are  called to punch into Linux machines so Zoom works for everyone.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

We actually ran at least three meetings on Zoom. Getting it setup sometimes had it issues in terms of getting sound and video working correctly. Those escaped are noted elsewhere but I know when I installed avucontrol (or something similar in name), things started working for me. But after it worked for me that time, on another meeting I was preparing for the sound settings were messed up again. But this time I could just do a few clicks in the sound icon do-hickey and get it working again.

I suspect the upgrade played with your audio settings that were perfectly set up before that. But if you want to troubleshoot these issues, make a post in Support and maybe we can figure out all of putting our heads together.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I had the same issue with having to do an upgrade of Zoom, on my Linux computer ( Zoom wouldn't load and said I needed to do an update).
After updating Zoom it still did not load and still said I needed to update.
I rebooted the Linux Distro and then Zoom worked fine.

Quote from: buster on August 29, 2020, 05:27:10 PM
PLUG ran one virtual meeting that probably started from a Linux machine. I put Zoom on my Mint  and it worked nicely. At least I think that is how it went.

Today there was a virtual memorial for a friend, and people were joining in from all over. Except my Linux machine, same one I had used for our meeting, didn't work. I needed a Zoom upgrade!

So it guided me nicely through the upgrade to the latest software, and gave me the latest Linux Mint Zoom software, and it was easy and perfect except that the Linux upgrade didn't take.

Running upstairs to Marilyn's Win10 gave us an immediate connection, but not the comfort of a reclining couch and a 48" screen.

This is absolutely no criticism of Linux, more of Zoom for not providing a flatpak or whatever they are  called to punch into Linux machines so Zoom works for everyone.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"I rebooted the Linux Distro and then Zoom worked fine."

Never occurred to me tho I should have remembered that in some distros in virtual, a reboot was a needed step for the software open-vm-tools-desktop, even tho a reboot was not asked for. (Probably related to host/guest connection)

I'm guessing you solved my problem Bill, but many hours too late.  :)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I notice that Zoom will stay in the tray even when you close it. I'm wondering if, for the update to take root, you have to exit it in the tray and restart it? Not sure if you guys had tried that. I think that I just removed the zoom program, went to the website and downloaded the main version. There were a couple of zoom packages in the repositories but one of them was a snap. They may be slightly older versions.

In any case, I rarely use update functions within programs on Linux. I just use the software update too and it handles it (or should). And download it separately again if that doesn't seem to work.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13