• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

GRUB Customizer

Started by ssfc72, December 23, 2016, 05:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I finally got around to installing a dual boot Linux (Mint 18 Cinnamon)on my Windows Vista desktop computer.
Of course, after the install, the GRUB boot menu had  Mint as the top, default OS, to boot up.
Since this desktop computer is the computer my wide uses, I wanted to have Vista as the first, default OS to show and boot up.

So I went to Google and did a search for an easy, Grub editor, to change this boot order.

I found the following web page which very nicely, steps you through the install of Grub Customizer.  This is a very nice utility!
https://www.pcsteps.com/1053-change-grub-boot-order-linux-mint-ubuntu/

Bill

The install of Mint, on the desktop Windows Vista computer was a bit of a challenge for me and I will post my difficulties/experience, on another post in the Forums.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I have been using Grub Customizer for years. It makes it easier to change the text size, colour and background picture of the Grub menu, and also to remove startup options that you don't want. It allows you to easily add options as well, which I found useful for getting Remix OS onto the Grub startup menu. I only use it on PC's. On my dual boot Macs, I use Refind, which generates a very attractive icon-based menu, and checks at bootup for connected boot disks. I think that Refind also works on PC's, but it isn't as easy as Grub Customizer for editing, adding and removing entries.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"Since this desktop computer is the computer my wife uses, I wanted to have Vista as the first, default OS to show and boot up."

Vista for your wife? Vista for anyone? Did we just go through a time warp?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Windows Vista still works just fine, for what my wife uses the internet/computer for. :-)

Whenever Microsoft ends security support for Vista, then she will have to migrate to Linux. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service